Sims FreePlay Alternative?

General chit chat, forum rules and everything non-Sims Freeplay can be discussed here.
Lenny
Sim Teen
Sim Teen

Re: Sims FreePlay Alternative?

Post by Lenny »

Thanks. For me the great thign about SFP was that I could create my own houses and my own persons. I shame FM/EA ruined it.
Facebook: Nevasa Simm (please PM me on this board, if you want me to add you as a friend, I'm not using facebook Messenger on a regular basis)
Hounted House: 1 Diver's Way
HNF/Rendeer Farm: 3 Firehouse Road
Version: Christmas in London
mrsjane
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Post by mrsjane »

What about Sims 3? I'm day 3 in and it's not as good as Sims freeplay, but early days...
mudgenie
Sim Adult
Sim Adult

Post by mudgenie »

mrsjane wrote:What about Sims 3? I'm day 3 in and it's not as good as Sims freeplay, but early days...
Sims 3 mobile is very boring. Hardly any ability to make a house or character. Sims 3 PC version is great though.
Spirited Away Ghost hunting house below swim center on the left side
HFN at Starter house #22
Check out the house next to the volcano. :D
Current Update
Perturbee
Administrator/Owner
Administrator/Owner

Post by Perturbee »

Sims 3 mobile is indeed boring and the graphics are really worse than SFP. There are issues with it, it doesn't work on all devices (despite it being listed as available for that device), prone to crashes and a relatively high price for the limited poorly adapted game. Placing one of the very few objects is a challenge in itself. (I had it on my phone about a year ago and trashed it). Not worth the money at all, if you ask me.

Virtual Families 2 is a glorified "Little Computer People" (aka House-on-a-disk) from 1984. The basics of the 1984 game are still there, do this and do that, then come back later. They enhanced it with generations and kids, along with placing furniture, as well as a medical-ish system of illness and medication.
Still I feel I have been warped back in time with this game. In itself not a bad thing, but certainly not a viable replacement for SFP.
This game is something you look at a few times per day and tend to their food needs (which is the only thing that seems to matter). If you put them to work (one of the three job-related items in the house) you earn a few coins. Unlocking items takes ages, since they're based on how many generations you had.
They tried to make it more interesting by adding collectibles and a few minor tasks (pulling weeds, cleaning up socks around the house and throwing away wrappers).
I'm on day three and already bored with the game. I'll keep playing to see how they handle the death of the parents. At least we know up front they have a limited life span. I don't know how long though, I forgot to keep track.
telemwill
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Post by telemwill »

Perturbee wrote:Sims 3 mobile is indeed boring and the graphics are really worse than SFP. There are issues with it, it doesn't work on all devices (despite it being listed as available for that device), prone to crashes and a relatively high price for the limited poorly adapted game. Placing one of the very few objects is a challenge in itself. (I had it on my phone about a year ago and trashed it). Not worth the money at all, if you ask me.

Virtual Families 2 is a glorified "Little Computer People" (aka House-on-a-disk) from 1984. The basics of the 1984 game are still there, do this and do that, then come back later. They enhanced it with generations and kids, along with placing furniture, as well as a medical-ish system of illness and medication.
Still I feel I have been warped back in time with this game. In itself not a bad thing, but certainly not a viable replacement for SFP.
This game is something you look at a few times per day and tend to their food needs (which is the only thing that seems to matter). If you put them to work (one of the three job-related items in the house) you earn a few coins. Unlocking items takes ages, since they're based on how many generations you had.
They tried to make it more interesting by adding collectibles and a few minor tasks (pulling weeds, cleaning up socks around the house and throwing away wrappers).
I'm on day three and already bored with the game. I'll keep playing to see how they handle the death of the parents. At least we know up front they have a limited life span. I don't know how long though, I forgot to keep track.
If you leave the game running all the time, the life span is over in about a week. Then you get to choose one of your children to come back to the house and begin their own family. It does get repetitive after awhile. Seems like someone would come up with a viable alternative to SFP.
HFN at #11 West Side. Haunted House at #1 East Side. Three star instruments at #3 East Side.
SIMazing
Sim Elder
Sim Elder

Post by SIMazing »

telemwill wrote:
Perturbee wrote:<snip>Virtual Families 2 is a glorified "Little Computer People" (aka House-on-a-disk) from 1984. The basics of the 1984 game are still there, do this and do that, then come back later. They enhanced it with generations and kids, along with placing furniture, as well as a medical-ish system of illness and medication.
If you leave the game running all the time, the life span is over in about a week. Then you get to choose one of your children to come back to the house and begin their own family. It does get repetitive after awhile. Seems like someone would come up with a viable alternative to SFP.
The life span in Virtual Families 1 was approx. 65, give or take a few years. From my experience, I would guess VF2 will be about the same. They cut life a little short so that players do not have to wait too long to start the next generation. The death scene is a little sad, but gentle. Once the first parent passes on, you have an option with the second parent (if there is one) whether to pass the house on now or later. And the option will remain for as long as you like or the 2nd parent is alive. The game is made for 10+ but they are aware that people play with their young children.

I have played every game that Last Day of Work (LDW) produced for the devices I've owned. They are not like sims games, but have their own personality, and is meant for more casual gamers. Each game has it's own puzzles, some very well hidden, others not so much. Virtual Villagers is more exciting than VF, especially once you get past the first few days and really start building your tribe. If you are looking for the most action, go for VV3 or higher. VV5 can be tricky. VV1 is the slowest of them, but has it's own challenges to balance it out. VV2 was my favorite. Plant Tycoon and Fish Tycoon are for the very, very, relaxed gamer, as in, Fish Tycoon also has a screen saver setting.
Strategies are important. For instance, a baby stays in mom's arms for two years, not as any offense to moms, but to make the player figure out how to work around it. In VV, time settings of slow, normal, and fast can be adjusted as part of their game strategy. There are times when quick is better, and other times it's slow. You have to plan crops and timing, fishing has limits, and how you spend your research points impacts how your game will play out. So, it isn't just sitting and watching. In VF, the challenges are listed under Trophies. Some are simple, like picking up enough socks or marrying for money, while others are more complex, like figuring out how to unlock the shed or kill all the ants.
Oh, and on the desktop, you can change the names of your characters. But I digress. VV and VF might be interesting to someone looking for a little something to do on the side while trying to figure out what to do next.
HFN 1: Starter House with haunted upstairs, 1 firepole: (22 West Side)
HFN 2 -Clue House with 4 firepoles: on island behind Tempest of Bliss (3 Bliss Drive)
telemwill
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Post by telemwill »

SIMazing wrote:
telemwill wrote:
Perturbee wrote:<snip>Virtual Families 2 is a glorified "Little Computer People" (aka House-on-a-disk) from 1984. The basics of the 1984 game are still there, do this and do that, then come back later. They enhanced it with generations and kids, along with placing furniture, as well as a medical-ish system of illness and medication.
The life span in Virtual Families 1 was approx. 65, give or take a few years. From my experience, I would guess VF2 will be about the same. They cut life a little short so that players do not have to wait too long to start the next generation. The death scene is a little sad, but gentle. Once the first parent passes on, you have an option with the second parent (if there is one) whether to pass the house on now or later. And the option will remain for as long as you like or the 2nd parent is alive. The game is made for 10+ but they are aware that people play with their young children.

I have played every game that Last Day of Work (LDW) produced for the devices I've owned. They are not like sims games, but have their own personality, and is meant for more casual gamers. Each game has it's own puzzles, some very well hidden, others not so much. Virtual Villagers is more exciting than VF, especially once you get past the first few days and really start building your tribe. If you are looking for the most action, go for VV3 or higher. VV5 can be tricky. VV1 is the slowest of them, but has it's own challenges to balance it out. VV2 was my favorite. Plant Tycoon and Fish Tycoon are for the very, very, relaxed gamer, as in, Fish Tycoon also has a screen saver setting.
Strategies are important. For instance, a baby stays in mom's arms for two years, not as any offense to moms, but to make the player figure out how to work around it. In VV, time settings of slow, normal, and fast can be adjusted as part of their game strategy. There are times when quick is better, and other times it's slow. You have to plan crops and timing, fishing has limits, and how you spend your research points impacts how your game will play out. So, it isn't just sitting and watching. In VF, the challenges are listed under Trophies. Some are simple, like picking up enough socks or marrying for money, while others are more complex, like figuring out how to unlock the shed or kill all the ants.
Oh, and on the desktop, you can change the names of your characters. But I digress. VV and VF might be interesting to someone looking for a little something to do on the side while trying to figure out what to do next.
So there are desktop versions? I will have to check that out. I haven't been able to kill the ants permanently yet. I got someone to mix the cinnamon stuff in the workroom, tried dropping them on top of that, but is didn't work.
HFN at #11 West Side. Haunted House at #1 East Side. Three star instruments at #3 East Side.
SIMazing
Sim Elder
Sim Elder

Post by SIMazing »

telemwill wrote:So there are desktop versions? I will have to check that out. I haven't been able to kill the ants permanently yet. I got someone to mix the cinnamon stuff in the workroom, tried dropping them on top of that, but is didn't work.
All of their VV and VF games are available on desktop. 8-)

There is one more step to the ant puzzle. You are on the right track. For some puzzles (not this one) you have to let your people wander occasionally, and take note of what they check out. If you stay stuck, let me know, I can point you in the right direction. :)
HFN 1: Starter House with haunted upstairs, 1 firepole: (22 West Side)
HFN 2 -Clue House with 4 firepoles: on island behind Tempest of Bliss (3 Bliss Drive)
J-is-for-Jane
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Post by J-is-for-Jane »

I'm playing Hay Day. It's nothing like the Sims, so it won't replace it. You run a farm. You grow, process, buy, sell stuff. I'm making it sound dull, but it's not. I'm totally engaged. I think my favorite thing is making and selling stuff in the game's marketplace. Figuring out what's in demand and pricing it right so that I still get a healthy profit, then watching it fly off the shelves as other players buy the wares.

The game has enough complexity to keep me challenged, but they're generous enough with the player that, truly, you do not need to make in-game purchases in order to advance. You make good stuff happen without being forced to use game-circumventing glitches. The game requires a little strategy, thoughtfulness, and long-term thinking to get the most out of it; I like that. The gaming company, Supercell, runs its own forums with a well-organized section for beginners that tells you everything you need to know. It feels like the game wants the player to succeed.

I knew everything was gonna be okay when I watched a video ad in the game, and I actually received the in-game currency that I was promised.
tade13
Newborn Sim
Newborn Sim

Post by tade13 »

Yes Hay Day is really nice.