Sims - where to start?

Discuss everything Sims here, as long as it's not Freeplay or Mobile!
Sims 1/2/3/4, Medieval, Stories series, etc.
2012bethany
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Sims - where to start?

Post by 2012bethany »

Hi All! I am new to the Sims and so far only have the Freeplay version. I am very interested in getting a PC version but I am not sure which one. I know that the Sims4 just came out for PC but I was wondering if it would be better to start with the Sims3??

Some info on my system (might be relevant!) I am using a new laptop with Windows 8.1 and there have been some compatibility issues with other software already (pain to fix, but got it done) so one of my concerns is that an older version of the game may not be compatible with my operating system.

I do have a PS2 and a PS3 available but again, I am concerned that I will purchase a new game and it won't work on my old game system (not willing to buy a new game system for one game - it would break the budget!)

Any insight/advise you can offer would be appreciated!
telemwill
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Re: Sims - where to start?

Post by telemwill »

http://www.modthesims.info/fd.php?f=579 Try having a look at this forum which has discussions on all the various Sim games and see which appeals to you most. I am playing the old reliable Sims 2. I like it because of it has all ages of the family, and lots of weird stuff like PlantSims and aliens. It doesn't have the open world of Sims 3, not does it have something called storyline progression. I actually prefer the way Sims 2 plays though where you have rotational play and each family is just as you last left them. But there are lots of Sims 3 fans out there too. I am not sure if you can get the Ultimate Collection for Sims 2 anymore though. I got it for free on a special offer which made it extra sweet.
HFN at #11 West Side. Haunted House at #1 East Side. Three star instruments at #3 East Side.
2012bethany
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Post by 2012bethany »

Thank you for the information!
Deedee
Sim Teen
Sim Teen

Post by Deedee »

I totally agree with telemwill, I prefer Sims 2 over 3 because I can't stand story progression. I prefer rotational play style. Plus I just find Sims 2 more fun to watch and I like to sit back and watch. What the sims are doing is much more detail animated in Sims 2. Sims 3 and 4 have pretty lazy animations that barely hint at the actions in most cases. If you don't mind sims going near each other and a simolean symbole floating over their heads to mean money changed hands, Sims 3 and 4 are okay. If you prefer to see the sims meet up over a cash register, the buyer reaching to a pocket bringing out real cash simoleans, handing them to the cashier, the cashier opening a drawer and putting the money in, and slamming the drawer closed again, etc. See what I mean?

Just realized how old this thread was - oops. Just had to do my little "animation rant" tho! Being as I animated a full balance beam routine for Sims 1 (and a few other things) animation is my special area of interest, to say the least :)
telemwill
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Post by telemwill »

I think it's fine to revive it. I haven't had time to play much lately, but I hope to have more time this summer. I love Sims 2. I'm so glad I got the ultimate collection while it was available.
HFN at #11 West Side. Haunted House at #1 East Side. Three star instruments at #3 East Side.
ZeeGee

Post by ZeeGee »

telemwill wrote:I love Sims 2. I'm so glad I got the ultimate collection while it was available.
I'm REALLY annoyed that I missed that :x

And I don't use story progression in Sims 3. I keep it turned off.
ZeeGee

Post by ZeeGee »

http://oceanofgames.com/the-sims-2-free-download/

Does anyone know if this is legit?
Perturbee
Administrator/Owner
Administrator/Owner

Post by Perturbee »

ZeeGee wrote:http://oceanofgames.com/the-sims-2-free-download/

Does anyone know if this is legit?
When googling around it seems not quite legal. There is an interesting discussion about the site here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.ph ... mes.97218/

Sims 2 is no longer for sale legally (through origin). The only way to get it legally is buying a second hand physical copy.

Other than that, I think Sims 2 is now abandonware (EA no longer updates or supports it). So it's up to your conscience. :D
ZeeGee

Post by ZeeGee »

Thanks for all the info, CP. I don't think I'll bite. I was thinking it might be okay because it's no longer sold by the developers, but on looking around their site they also sell S3 with all packs, and even S4. Definitely NOT legal. I have enough to do with S3 to keep me going for years anyway. :)
telemwill
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Post by telemwill »

They have updated the Ultimate Collection from time to time. Probably for security purposes.