Tips for a Sims 3 newbie in a Sims 4 world!

Moderator: Sims 3 Moderators

ZeeGee

Buydebug lighting and HOT AIR BALLOON!!

Post by ZeeGee »

What I've learned about Sims 3 is there's so much to learn that people who have been playing for years are still learning! But here is a recent one that was really helpful.

The one thing I miss about SFP is you put a light in a room and BAM, the whole room is lit up perfectly. In Sims 3 you can put lights everywhere and get shades and shadows and contrasting colors. You can change the intensity and the color of the lights, which is pretty cool, but still it only lights up that one spot. There is a cheat (not a REAL cheat, a sanctioned cheat) for this. Hit Ctrl+Shft+C, type in "testingcheatsenabled true", then Ctrl_Shft+C again and type in 'buydebug on". When you go into build mode a "?" will appear. There you will find a whole bunch of ceiling and wall lights to light up your build that disappear when you go back into live mode. I was having difficulty with the wall lights until I learned that you have to TURN THEM AROUND! Only one side of them lights up.

There are a determined set of gifters over on the sims forums who want everyone to be able to 'own the store' like they already do. I have just been gifted Aurora Skies, which is a beautiful world that includes a hot air balloon and the ability to travel in it, sightsee, drink champagne and even...yes, woohoo. :D Here's a couple of my sims having a nice little date night with the balloon.
mizzjolynn
Newborn Sim
Newborn Sim

Re: Tips for a Sims 3 newbie in a Sims 4 world!

Post by mizzjolynn »

I would like to use the sim port but I don't have any friends for it. Is there any forums for this?
ZeeGee

Post by ZeeGee »

mizzjolynn wrote: 04 May 2017, 19:44 I would like to use the sim port but I don't have any friends for it. Is there any forums for this?
We can make a simport thread but there's not a lot of activity here so your best bet would probably be the official forum. There are several threads of active players there that simport.
Jude525
Newborn Sim
Newborn Sim

Post by Jude525 »

Ok, almost no sleep last night. Eyes are watering, but I can't stop playing catch up on this thread. I'm on page 3. ZeeGee, I thought I was an "experienced" builder, and I am, but I was blown away to learn about the ;/, options to adjust the height of items on the wall. I adjust stuff all the time, but sometimes it can get wonky on me and frustrate the 773H out of me! Can't wait to try this in game.

And glad to be reminded about OMSP. I've seen it before, but hadn't downloaded it yet. Done.

RE the "bathing suits" you like: check if the designer is still active on the site you got them from. If so, ask them to re-categorize them. It's a simple checkbox in the TSR workshop. I'd offer to change it for you, but it isn't mine to mess with. I know very little about TSR workshop, but I have discovered how to do this much. Oh, and to open access of Adult clothes/hair/accesories to Elders. I'm not sure about switching gender availability. That may be useful for giving guys more jewelry options. But only on CC. I don't know if store content can be adjusted this way.

If you already mention that after page 3, I apologize. :D

EDIT for grammar
Jude525
Newborn Sim
Newborn Sim

Post by Jude525 »

mizzjolynn wrote: 04 May 2017, 19:44 I would like to use the sim port but I don't have any friends for it. Is there any forums for this?
I'm not playing Showtime at the moment, but I should be in a couple weeks. (My legacy family has a son in the music industry.) If you want to add me as a friend we will see each other once I'm active. I'm Jude525 in game/on EA.
Jude525
Newborn Sim
Newborn Sim

Post by Jude525 »

mizzjolynn, my mistake, I'm still under my old ID in-game for Sims 3. Look for JoeJude16.
ZeeGee

Post by ZeeGee »

Jude525 wrote: 05 May 2017, 14:31 Ok, almost no sleep last night. Eyes are watering, but I can't stop playing catch up on this thread. I'm on page 3. ZeeGee, I thought I was an "experienced" builder, and I am, but I was blown away to learn about the ;/, options to adjust the height of items on the wall. I adjust stuff all the time, but sometimes it can get wonky on me and frustrate the 773H out of me! Can't wait to try this in game.

And glad to be reminded about OMSP. I've seen it before, but hadn't downloaded it yet. Done.

RE the "bathing suits" you like: check if the designer is still active on the site you got them from. If so, ask them to re-categorize them. It's a simple checkbox in the TSR workshop. I'd offer to change it for you, but it isn't mine to mess with. I know very little about TSR workshop, but I have discovered how to do this much. Oh, and to open access of Adult clothes/hair/accesories to Elders. I'm not sure about switching gender availability. That may be useful for giving guys more jewelry options. But only on CC. I don't know if store content can be adjusted this way.

If you already mention that after page 3, I apologize. :D

EDIT for grammar
Nice to see you over here! So glad my meanderings helped someone. All this is pretty old! Thanks for the tip. I might get around to trying out TSR workshop some day. For now I've learned how to use S3PE to change categories and such.
Jude525
Newborn Sim
Newborn Sim

Post by Jude525 »

ZeeGee, is there a thread somewhere, on any forum, that is more active, but focused on gameplay. I know we keep things loose over on the EA Daily Deal thread, but I'm still looking for more.

I did find "What happened in your Sims game today" on EA, but there are hundreds of posts a day! A bit too much for me to process. Even though the Simmers there are incredibly welcoming and open to my participating as much or as little as I want, it is overwhelming.

Also, I came here looking for a building thread, which you have. Sadly, it also is a bit sparse of activity. Of course, I could start posting builds to TSR and MTS, but I don't feel that mine are that caliber yet. Perhaps my parks will be at some point soon. Also, those sites really do tend to exist to showcase original content.

In the meantime, I am happy to have my DD buddies, like you. Still wish I had someone in RL to geek out with.
ZeeGee

Post by ZeeGee »

Jude525 wrote: 07 May 2017, 15:59 ZeeGee, is there a thread somewhere, on any forum, that is more active, but focused on gameplay. I know we keep things loose over on the EA Daily Deal thread, but I'm still looking for more.

I did find "What happened in your Sims game today" on EA, but there are hundreds of posts a day! A bit too much for me to process. Even though the Simmers there are incredibly welcoming and open to my participating as much or as little as I want, it is overwhelming.

Also, I came here looking for a building thread, which you have. Sadly, it also is a bit sparse of activity. Of course, I could start posting builds to TSR and MTS, but I don't feel that mine are that caliber yet. Perhaps my parks will be at some point soon. Also, those sites really do tend to exist to showcase original content.

In the meantime, I am happy to have my DD buddies, like you. Still wish I had someone in RL to geek out with.
I don't know of any thread like that anywhere. I was hoping that simmers would migrate over here. We have a lot signed up but not much activity. I have a lot to post but it feels kinda lonely in here. I don't have any RL simmer friends either, a few who dabble but no one obsessed, uh, I mean dedicated, like me. :D

Right now I am getting the 404 error code from the main forum. Is it down for you?
ErinPW

Post by ErinPW »

This is what I get when I tap my bookmark for the SFP Social Corner
Attachments
SFP Social Corner - access blocked
SFP Social Corner - access blocked
Handcrafted Homes Update, 5.83.0
iOS 17.3.1

HFN 3 Eastside includes cat and dog.
Haunted House 1 Museums Boulevard and Volcano View