Sims 3 Newbie

Moderator: Sims 3 Moderators

Hufflepuff Karen
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Re: Sims 3 Newbie

Post by Hufflepuff Karen »

dihannah1 wrote:I do wish Sims 3 was more like FP, where you have more control over actions and who/how you can control them. Different than I thought it would be, but good when I'm bored with FP, which is more frequent now you have to do resources to get anything. I still have not got anything available yet.
Me too. I love the Sims3 for building and making different characters, but I have a really hard time keeping them all motivated (I have 8 between 3 families). I spend most of my time building and decorating houses and I put them on autonomous as much as I can, because with the time sped up and not in real time like SFP, I just can't keep up with them. Having more than 2 in a house is enough to make me crazy - I am always thrilled to send one to work and get them out of my hair, but they come home too fast! Wish they could do something between real time and the speeded up time that Sims3 is - maybe make 15 minutes = 1 hour in Sim time for Sims3 - that way you could send them to work for 8 hours and they'd be busy for 2 real hours.
I think, therefore, I Sim! (Or I did before they told me to "harvest" them)
HFN at Starter House (22 West Side); Pools& pets at several homes
Ghost hunting 2 Museum Blvd
GC: Hufflepuff Karen
TV $330,648,445 on 03/12/2014; Lvl 48
Perturbee
Administrator/Owner
Administrator/Owner

Post by Perturbee »

dihannah1 wrote:I do wish Sims 3 was more like FP, where you have more control over actions and who/how you can control them. Different than I thought it would be, but good when I'm bored with FP, which is more frequent now you have to do resources to get anything. I still have not got anything available yet.
That's not hard, turn off or lower Free Will. Free Will off is like SFP. Free Will makes Sims 3 far more interesting to me. If you want to watch your own disaster show, keep Free Will on High, put several Sims in a house and let time pass. :D
Options_Free-Will.jpg
Sims 3 has so much more depth than SFP, more stuff, more interests/hobbies, more careers, more to do.
Hufflepuff Karen wrote:Wish they could do something between real time and the speeded up time that Sims3 is - maybe make 15 minutes = 1 hour in Sim time for Sims3 - that way you could send them to work for 8 hours and they'd be busy for 2 real hours.
I use the Relativity MOD, so time passes slower in the game and allows me to have the Sims do more in a day (while their needs drain the same). See: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Relativity+FAQ
It takes a little experimenting which time-flow setting is optimal for you, mine is often at 25 (default is 37). 1 is extremely slow.
dihannah1
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Post by dihannah1 »

Thanks for the tips Catherina, I'll give them a shot.
HFN - Starter Home - Recently updated!
Hufflepuff Karen
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Perturbee wrote:
Hufflepuff Karen wrote:Wish they could do something between real time and the speeded up time that Sims3 is - maybe make 15 minutes = 1 hour in Sim time for Sims3 - that way you could send them to work for 8 hours and they'd be busy for 2 real hours.
I use the Relativity MOD, so time passes slower in the game and allows me to have the Sims do more in a day (while their needs drain the same). See: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Relativity+FAQ
It takes a little experimenting which time-flow setting is optimal for you, mine is often at 25 (default is 37). 1 is extremely slow.
Is that non-geek friendly? I've never done any kind of cheat or code in the game other than "motherlode" so I could build houses. I am not good at modifying things or using codes. I'll go take a look but I don't know if I'm smart enough to not wreck my game or my computer!
Perturbee
Administrator/Owner
Administrator/Owner

Post by Perturbee »

Hufflepuff Karen wrote:Is that non-geek friendly? I've never done any kind of cheat or code in the game other than "motherlode" so I could build houses. I am not good at modifying things or using codes. I'll go take a look but I don't know if I'm smart enough to not wreck my game or my computer!
Yes and no, once you know how to "install mods" it's fairly easy to use. By default they (unzipped) go into Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/Packages (at least on my Windows PC, not sure where it's located on a Mac).
If the Resource.cfg in the Mods directory is missing, you'll need to add one. It can be found on the internet.

Once the game is loaded (first phase) you'll be warned about the game having MOD scripts found, complete with a list. Next load up your save game or start a new game. Nraas mods can be activated from a variety of locations, depending the mod. (Computer, Sim, Mailbox, Town Hall, etc).

Relativity can be found by clicking a computer (in the game). One of the computer's options is called Nraas, when clicking that you'll see the Relativity listed. That will open a window with options, most can be ignored.

The option you're after is "Set Speed", clicking that allows you to enter a value (using default speed is 0). I use 25 which is still quite fast. Feel free to experiment with any settings. Don't worry about messing up, there is a "Reset Settings" option as well.

I hope this helps.
Hufflepuff Karen
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Perturbee wrote:
Hufflepuff Karen wrote:Is that non-geek friendly? I've never done any kind of cheat or code in the game other than "motherlode" so I could build houses. I am not good at modifying things or using codes. I'll go take a look but I don't know if I'm smart enough to not wreck my game or my computer!
Yes and no, once you know how to "install mods" it's fairly easy to use. By default they (unzipped) go into Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/Packages (at least on my Windows PC, not sure where it's located on a Mac).
If the Resource.cfg in the Mods directory is missing, you'll need to add one. It can be found on the internet.

Once the game is loaded (first phase) you'll be warned about the game having MOD scripts found, complete with a list. Next load up your save game or start a new game. Nraas mods can be activated from a variety of locations, depending the mod. (Computer, Sim, Mailbox, Town Hall, etc).

Relativity can be found by clicking a computer (in the game). One of the computer's options is called Nraas, when clicking that you'll see the Relativity listed. That will open a window with options, most can be ignored.

The option you're after is "Set Speed", clicking that allows you to enter a value (using default speed is 0). I use 25 which is still quite fast. Feel free to experiment with any settings. Don't worry about messing up, there is a "Reset Settings" option as well.

I hope this helps.
LOL! I don't know if it will help or not - I have no idea what any of that means! But thank you, I will try to fiddle with it - I haven't even installed my last cuople of expansion packs yet. I don't really speak computer. I'm OK with data entry, but when it comes to modifying programs, or fixing things, my IT guy has to do it. I have a windows PC. I clicked on the link and read it, but I guess I need to find the Dummies Guide to Modifying Sims Games or something. I have no idea where to start :) Maybe over the Christmas holidays I'll explore a little bit - when I have some time to play Sims3 again - we've having our fiscal year audits at work for the next couple of weeks, so I may even have to hibernate my SFP Sims for awhile (and hope that I can finish Key related goals on Sundays by jamming them through on my day off and using LP to skip anything that's 24 hours...) Bookmarking the link and this page, so I can go back to it!
KissieK
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Post by KissieK »

Hey y'all! I bought Sims 3 Supernatural after I started FP but I couldn't get used to the controls, so I gave up. But I started back a few days ago & I love it! :D What you can do with houses! And creating the Sims! But anyhoo, I was redoing a house that has a vampire cubby & at some point I deleted the stairs & didn't realize it & now I can't put any stairs back, so I was hoping maybe some of y'all could help me out? I've tried everything that I've read would work, but so far it hasn't worked for me. :( I took some pics so y'all could see what it looks like. I really hope y'all can help cause it just happens to be Eric Northman's house & he has to have his cubby! :lol:
Attachments
The first floor
The first floor
The ground
The ground
The cubby
The cubby
**MONSTERS & MAGIC UPDATE**
HFN: 1 Eastside
Haunted House: 2 Eastside
Cat: Haunted House
Dog: HFN
Reindeer Park: Island - 1 Terra Drive
KissieK
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Post by KissieK »

I just wanted to add this pic, cause I noticed this earlier but had forgot. I think it might be a glitch? It's like that in the front too, so maybe that's why I can't put the stairs back.
Attachments
Crazy land
Crazy land
Perturbee
Administrator/Owner
Administrator/Owner

Post by Perturbee »

I'm not sure why none of the solutions you found don't work. You can try making the hall a little wider (if I understand the placement correctly)?

The ground looks like some extensive terrain editing, which could be a glitch if you didn't do it yourself.
KissieK
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Post by KissieK »

Perturbee wrote:I'm not sure why none of the solutions you found don't work. You can try making the hall a little wider (if I understand the placement correctly)?

The ground looks like some extensive terrain editing, which could be a glitch if you didn't do it yourself.
Thanks for trying. I just started a new game since I hadn't really done a whole lot. I just didn't wanna have to remodel the house again, cause I was nearly finished. But now, looking at the new house, it's possible that I did the 'extensive terrain editing' :lol: & didn't realize that either, cause here's a pic of the new one & the ground is flat & there's not some extra foundation under there that shouldn't be. :oops: :lol:
Attachments
image.jpg