Running the Sims 2 Deluxe

cdriley29
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Running the Sims 2 Deluxe

Post by cdriley29 »

I hope this qualifies under this board header.

Basically - my laptop was able to run the Sims 2 for a while and then it just like, out of the blue, crashed.

If any of you play sims 2 or sims 3 with expansion packs, what kind of computer do you have, and did you modify it to run better graphics? What graphics card do you have?

I've been trying, for the better part of a year, to figure out what exactly I need to make Sims 2 run, with all its expansions, without lagging or freezing or dying, really.

Help?
Game Center: cdriley29
Hufflepuff Karen
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Re: Running the Sims 2 Deluxe

Post by Hufflepuff Karen »

cdriley29 wrote:I hope this qualifies under this board header.

Basically - my laptop was able to run the Sims 2 for a while and then it just like, out of the blue, crashed.

If any of you play sims 2 or sims 3 with expansion packs, what kind of computer do you have, and did you modify it to run better graphics? What graphics card do you have?

I've been trying, for the better part of a year, to figure out what exactly I need to make Sims 2 run, with all its expansions, without lagging or freezing or dying, really.

Help?
I run the regular Sims games on my HP Laptop. I bought the gaming / entertainment laptop that came with a video card and RAM geared for gaming. My previous laptop ran Sims1 and Sims2 pretty good, but really couldn't handle Sims3, so when it died, I went and asked some geek people at a couple of computer stores if there were any good laptops that could handle the heavy graphics games - they all said as long as you got one that was geared toward "entertainment" (like one that you can watch Hulu or Netflix on, or one that lets you watch HD You Tube videos), it should work. That was a couple of years ago - haven't had any problems (and I've worn off the labels that said how much RAM and what kind of video card was in it!) The box of the newest version or newest expansion pack usually has recommendations for video cards and other things - if your computer meets those specs, it should work. I have never tried to upgrade or modify my computers - I am NOT that technologically smart. I just wait until the computer croaks (at least every 5 years) and then I go get one that meets the specs on the new box!
I think, therefore, I Sim! (Or I did before they told me to "harvest" them)
HFN at Starter House (22 West Side); Pools& pets at several homes
Ghost hunting 2 Museum Blvd
GC: Hufflepuff Karen
TV $330,648,445 on 03/12/2014; Lvl 48
cdriley29
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Post by cdriley29 »

Problem is - my laptop did meet the qualifications but it won't even start up anymore. So Im guessing the memory might be shot.

So i was looking into getting a brand new computer - but lots of people are differing on what will run the Sims 3 and all its expansions (cuz if a computer can run sims 3 and its expansions, then it sure as heck can run sims 2 and all the expansions.)
Game Center: cdriley29
Hufflepuff Karen
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Post by Hufflepuff Karen »

cdriley29 wrote:Problem is - my laptop did meet the qualifications but it won't even start up anymore. So Im guessing the memory might be shot.

So i was looking into getting a brand new computer - but lots of people are differing on what will run the Sims 3 and all its expansions (cuz if a computer can run sims 3 and its expansions, then it sure as heck can run sims 2 and all the expansions.)
Your best bet is to probably go to http://www.thesims3.com and look for the page that has the specs on what you need to run it with all the packs.

If I recall, they give you a list of the various video cards by brand name with the newest versions and then you can search for a computer that has one of those cards. Or ask a geek type person if there is a laptop out there that will run Call of Duty for PC or one of those super heavy graphic games that most people play on PS3 or Xbox - they do make PC versions of some of them and if a laptop will run that, it will certainly run the Sims.

I know some of the stores like Best Buy even have a category on their websites for "Laptops, gaming" that are separate from regular laptops or laptops for business. They can run up to $1,000 - $1,200 though - watch for a sale around holidays like Presidents Day (if you're in the US).

There's also a website that's called something like "CanIRunit.com" (Google it to be sure that's the name) and you can usually run that website on the demo laptops in the store while you're shopping. Put in the name of the game and see if you get a positive or negative result - that will help you narrow it down.
I think, therefore, I Sim! (Or I did before they told me to "harvest" them)
HFN at Starter House (22 West Side); Pools& pets at several homes
Ghost hunting 2 Museum Blvd
GC: Hufflepuff Karen
TV $330,648,445 on 03/12/2014; Lvl 48