Bird Feeding Hobby - Pros and Cons

All the Sims Freeplay discussions can be held here.
blackbrit
Sim Adult
Sim Adult

Bird Feeding Hobby - Pros and Cons

Post by blackbrit »

I know some of you have completed the quest to unlock the bird feeding hobby. I have completed mine, too.

So, I have access to the hobby. I've completed the first row of birds. They are quite cute, and I like how the new bird appears. Repeat birds do not, or have not yet, provided Madame Eden, one of my two Senior Sims, with any pocket money from her hobby. She is spending the next - is it 8 hours? - of her little Simmy life sitting at the Swim Center feeding birds, where she may, or may not, end up with a bird for the next row, and where she won't make much money. From the look of her clothes she could use a bit of pocket money from her hobby.

The first row of birds unlocks the ability to watch birds at the Swim Center, the second row unlocks bird watching at the Community Center, and the third row unlocks watching Snow Birds - which I take to mean bird watching at the Snow Park - not, as we say in the United States, watching "Snow Birds" [people] from cold Northern states who are spending the winter in a trailer park in the state of Arizona (a warm state).

After the Snow Park birds are collected, we get 2000 XP and the parrot in a cage (right to buy parrot in cage, I think.)

What are the pros and cons of this hobby?

I see one obvious pro - we get birds as pets! What, to you, are the pros and cons of our latest Sim hobby? My lack of imagination has found only this one "pro." There must be more... ;)
L 55, Easter Update
HFN, #2 Firehouse RD.
Haunted House #20 West Side. Pre-built HH @ #1 Firehouse RD.
"C" for 74 cats, "R" for 80 reindeer; See map view
GC: blackbrit.1
For GC: Mention Hay Day or SFP
boysnberry11
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Re: Bird Feeding Hobby - Pros and Cons

Post by boysnberry11 »

Can only 1 sim do the hobby or multiple sims? I guess you could always reset and try again? 8 hrs is a loooooong time to get repeat items. :lol:
GC: boysnberry11
blackbrit
Sim Adult
Sim Adult

Post by blackbrit »

boysnberry11 wrote:Can only 1 sim do the hobby or multiple sims? I guess you could always reset and try again? 8 hrs is a loooooong time to get repeat items. :lol:
Yes. Shall we count that as a "con"? :lol:
L 55, Easter Update
HFN, #2 Firehouse RD.
HordePrime
Sim Adult
Sim Adult

Post by HordePrime »

Think I'll do this like the Fishing one at Christmas and just use my accumulated LP on the lucky draw thing.

Is anything extra unlocked the second time through the grid or is it just XP and stuff?
blackbrit
Sim Adult
Sim Adult

Post by blackbrit »

HordePrime wrote:Think I'll do this like the Fishing one at Christmas and just use my accumulated LP on the lucky draw thing.

Is anything extra unlocked the second time through the grid or is it just XP and stuff?
I don't know yet. From Perturbee's tips it sounds as though it becomes 3 LP after the initial unlocking of birds. Madame Eden is still tossing bird seed for the the second row, first time around through the grid...

So far, I think this is how it works.
L 55, Easter Update
HFN, #2 Firehouse RD.
KissieK
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Post by KissieK »

boysnberry11 wrote:Can only 1 sim do the hobby or multiple sims? I guess you could always reset and try again? 8 hrs is a loooooong time to get repeat items. :lol:
So when you do the bird feeding hobby, it's 8 hrs? There's no other time options like the other hobbies? I have just added a sim to age for these goals, with a lot of thought whether to even do them at all, but it's just looking worse as the descriptions of everything goes by :/
**MONSTERS & MAGIC UPDATE**
HFN: 1 Eastside
Haunted House: 2 Eastside
Cat: Haunted House
Dog: HFN
Reindeer Park: Island - 1 Terra Drive
blackbrit
Sim Adult
Sim Adult

Post by blackbrit »

KissieK wrote:
So when you do the bird feeding hobby, it's 8 hrs? There's no other time options like the other hobbies? I have just added a sim to age for these goals, with a lot of thought whether to even do them at all, but it's just looking worse as the descriptions of everything goes by :/
What i'm finding so far is that only one Sim can do the hobby at a time, and that the Swim Center birds take 8 hours per attempt, and the Community Center birds are 12 hours per attempt! No guarantee of getting a new bird, of course, and no reward for a repeat bird. The reward for a new bird is not much. I didn't write it down, but perhaps nothing over §60 so far?
L 55, Easter Update
HFN, #2 Firehouse RD.
SeekerDraconis
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Post by SeekerDraconis »

blackbrit wrote:
KissieK wrote: So when you do the bird feeding hobby, it's 8 hrs? There's no other time options like the other hobbies? I have just added a sim to age for these goals, with a lot of thought whether to even do them at all, but it's just looking worse as the descriptions of everything goes by :/
What i'm finding so far is that only one Sim can do the hobby at a time, and that the Swim Center birds take 8 hours per attempt, and the Community Center birds are 12 hours per attempt! No guarantee of getting a new bird, of course, and no reward for a repeat bird. The reward for a new bird is not much. I didn't write it down, but perhaps nothing over §60 so far?
On her blog Perturbee said after completing the grid the first time, "... it is possible to use multiple Seniors to collect the birds. Only one at each feeding spot, so maximum 4 Seniors simultaneously." Perturbee has a lot of info about the bird feeding hobby on her blog including simolean rewards: http://simsfp.blogspot.ca/2014/02/hobbi ... .html#more
HFN: Starter Home
HH: #2 Diver's Way
Pets, Frisbee: #1 East Oceanside
Pool: #3 East Oceanside
Woodwork & Fashion Benchs: #21 West Side (nxt to Starter Home)
3 Star Instruments: Teen Mansion @ Bliss Drive, Island
hiser1974

Post by hiser1974 »

I only see one pro in this hobby and that is getting the parrot.
Which for me isn't really a pro because I don't like caged birds.
Other then that it is a waste of time, even worse then the teen idol hobby.
I mean, 24h for feeding birds at the snow park and no guarantee you will find a new bird. That is just insane.
Palmjill
Sim Adult
Sim Adult

Post by Palmjill »

I presume there is no time limit for unlocking the caged parrot so we can take as long as we like to complete the grid?
I just had a look at Perturbee's post about the hobby and I agree, the caged parrot looks awfully sad :(
Thank goodness the quest reward is an uncaged parrot!
Not updated and Not playing! (please excuse zombies)