[TIP] Coping w/ Game Crashes: The Curse of Idle Sims

The tips and guides section.
General guides and tips only, quests have their own subsection!
J-is-for-Jane
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

[TIP] Coping w/ Game Crashes: The Curse of Idle Sims

Post by J-is-for-Jane »

The worst part of a game crash is returning to find my sims idle in front of their houses with whatever time/simoleons/LPs invested in tasks completely lost. I haven't found a way to stop game crashes entirely, but I've found a way - in my game - to not lose game progress after a crash. Because, sometimes, bad crashes happen to good sims.

The way it's worked for me is: if the game crashes TWICE in a row, without having been opened & closed intentionally by me in between those two crashes, then when the game restarts after the second crash, my sims will be idle and all task-progress lost.

If the game crashes and it's only the first crash since the previous round of gameplay where I opened and closed the game properly myself, then I'll return to my sims continuing whatever task they were performing at the time of the crash.

So the key is to prevent my game from crashing twice in a row by opening and closing the game myself intentionally after the first crash. After the first crash, I open the game by tapping the little SFP icon on my screen. Once the game restarts, even though I feel the urge to continue gameplay, I don't play -- I don't pop any bubbles; I don't send anyone to work; I don't engage in any gameplay. I quit the game. I quit the game before it has a chance to crash a second time in a row. On ios7, I quit by double-pressing the home button, then I swipe the SFP screen up.

It is very important that after the crash, I open the game and let it reload by tapping the icon on the home screen. Only then, do I quit the game. If - after the crash - I just immediately quit the game without reopening it, then when I return to the game I'll find all my sims idle.

So bottom line: After a crash, OPEN then CLOSE SFP intentionally, before it has a chance to crash again.

Doing this, I haven't lost task-time in my own neighborhood due to crashes since I started this tactic back in October 2013. Not once. Since I've only tested it on my device, I can't guarantee it'll work for anyone else -- but it's worked very well for me.

p.s. I originally posted this in another thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1172. This strategy has helped me a lot. Hopefully, by posting it in this section, it'll help more players.
SeekerDraconis
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Re: [TIP] Coping w/ Game Crashes: The Curse of Idle Sims

Post by SeekerDraconis »

Thanks for this tip, J-is-for-Jane! :D My game has started crashing when my Sims Ghost Hunt, so I have a feeling I am going to need it.
HFN: Starter Home
HH: #2 Diver's Way
Pets, Frisbee: #1 East Oceanside
Pool: #3 East Oceanside
Woodwork & Fashion Benchs: #21 West Side (nxt to Starter Home)
3 Star Instruments: Teen Mansion @ Bliss Drive, Island
J-is-for-Jane
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Post by J-is-for-Jane »

SeekerDraconis wrote:Thanks for this tip, J-is-for-Jane! :D My game has started crashing when my Sims Ghost Hunt, so I have a feeling I am going to need it.
You're welcome, SeekerDraconis. Hope it helps :)
LucyBoots
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Post by LucyBoots »

I would add, not only do a hard close on the sims app, but all running apps, and do a hard close on your device frequently