[PIC-GUIDE] Alive Sim's Orb usage!

The tips and guides section.
General guides and tips only, quests have their own subsection!
User avatar
ErinPW
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3586
Joined: 10 Sep 2013, 10:41
Location: Germany, UTC +1

Re: [PIC-GUIDE] Alive Sim's Orb usage!

Post by ErinPW » 03 Sep 2014, 05:26

Sherry wrote:[snip]
Thank you. I have read through a lot of these threads about the L,D, & Legacies quest. It sounds people were confused. If I do earn a silver orb ( just an example) can I give it to an adult, or is it best to give a silver or gold orb to a baby? I've read if we give a silver or gold orb to the wrong person, we can lose it. The "wrong" person is someone who isn't the same (sporty) as they are. Is that right? :? Were you able to save any of your original favorite sims? :shock:

Thanks!! :D
Since the LD&L came out, many things have changed. It's not that confusing as it was at the beginning :)

You can give an orb to an adult, Babies are way too expensive. Though, it's recommended by experienced players to have one sim of each age-group for weekly goals.

You cannot give a sporty orb to a geeky sim. (Except for pausing a sim)
You'd have to change the personality of your sim. Then you'll lose the progress of an orb. E.g. a silver orb has a progress of 50 % towards gold, you change the sims personality, the silver orb falls down next to the sim. The 50 % towards gold are lost.
One time I could have lost an orb when I advanced a sim to die before the orb was done :oops:
But I save manually to the cloud often. Especially before I do important things. In case something goes wrong, I can reset my game :)

Lots of players have saved several sims :)

Hope, this helps :)
Halloween, 5.33.3
iOS 11.1.1

HFN 3 Eastside includes cat and dog.
Haunted House 1 Museums Boulevard and Volcano View

User avatar
mockingbird288z
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5165
Joined: 10 Oct 2013, 04:51
Location: Florida; UTC -4:00
Contact:

Re: [PIC-GUIDE] Alive Sim's Orb usage!

Post by mockingbird288z » 03 Sep 2014, 18:19

Sherry wrote:
Thank you. I have read through a lot of these threads about the L,D, & Legacies quest. It sounds people were confused. If I do earn a silver orb ( just an example) can I give it to an adult, or is it best to give a silver or gold orb to a baby? I've read if we give a silver or gold orb to the wrong person, we can lose it. The "wrong" person is someone who isn't the same (sporty) as they are. Is that right? :? Were you able to save any of your original favorite sims? :shock:

Thanks!! :D
Like Erin said, the whole process has gotten less confusing. Although it could be that we have finally gotten used to it! Part of why it was confusing was FM kept changing how it worked.

Until recently, I only used adults for orb grinding and didn't have a problem with running out of time while working on a gold or platinum orb so while you can give a silver and gold orb to a baby you don't have to.

One thing that can still be confusing is that to use a platinum orb to save a sim you have to go through the age controller. Just giving a platinum orb to a sim won't pause their aging.

I have saved 7 of my original sims and just a few weeks ago I got enough platinum orbs to save the other 27. I am not going to pause everyone, yet. I just wanted to have the option! It takes time but it is possible. :)
Facebook: Leah Taylor
HFN: 22 West Side -- Includes dog and cat
2017 Halloween Update

User avatar
calleighwolfe
Sim Teen
Sim Teen
Posts: 386
Joined: 05 Nov 2013, 13:46

Re: [PIC-GUIDE] Alive Sim's Orb usage!

Post by calleighwolfe » 03 Sep 2014, 20:23

mockingbird288z wrote: One thing that can still be confusing is that to use a platinum orb to save a sim you have to go through the age controller. Just giving a platinum orb to a sim won't pause their aging.
This is very important. I'm actually working towards the last 3 Entertainer Platinum orbs I need for the Carnival attractions (which is going slow 'cause I chose to work as Musician and it takes forever! 'cause I thought I couldn't play at work but it turns out that I have a very long lunch hour and wifi to use in any way we want so I can play at work xD) and my other sims are getting orbs in order to be saved. I'm still far from Platinum orbs for all of them but I'm working on it and I didn't know this!! :lol:

Thanks God I wander around the forum from time to time :)
calleighwolfe at Game Center.
Please mention the Sims in your request. Otherwise you won't be added.
It might take me a while to answer, but I will :)

Level 55. TV: 94,052,837
HFN: Starter House.
Haunted House: 1 EastSide
Dream Weddings Update

User avatar
Sherry
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler
Posts: 64
Joined: 31 Aug 2014, 22:24

Re: [PIC-GUIDE] Alive Sim's Orb usage!

Post by Sherry » 04 Sep 2014, 22:50

Thank you so much. This helps a lot. I have never saved my game manually to my cloud, but I may start doing that now. That way if I do make a mistake with an orb, it wont be wasted. I actually have 7 Sims that I want to try and save. I was thinking it may be a lofty goal, but I have the time to play, so hopefully they will survive. :? Do I just let those 7 sims sit around and do nothing, but eat, drink coffee and shower every few days? I assign a personality to them right away, but then do I make them do the "sporty actions", or have them sit around? I'm happy we can use LP's to reverse their age cycle. What if a married couple doesn't age at the same time? That seems like it may be kind of odd? I saw the new pet update on FB last night. It looks fun. :D It will be awhile before I get to that though.

Thanks! :)

User avatar
HordePrime
Sim Adult
Sim Adult
Posts: 688
Joined: 14 Oct 2013, 16:32

Re: [PIC-GUIDE] Alive Sim's Orb usage!

Post by HordePrime » 05 Sep 2014, 00:09

Sherry wrote:I was thinking it may be a lofty goal, but I have the time to play, so hopefully they will survive. :? Do I just let those 7 sims sit around and do nothing, but eat, drink coffee and shower every few days? I assign a personality to them right away, but then do I make them do the "sporty actions", or have them sit around?
That's a perfectly reasonable goal. Have a look round the forum for various tips.

Before you start, get all the sims you want to save together and have them just do nothing.
Never visit them and they will stay inspired. Just forget about them for a while; keep them idle. Nothing bad will happen to them.

With the other adults, the ones that you are happy to die, give them a personality and then give them a life dream that suits you and have them do it continuously until they are ready to become a senior, then when you age them up, they will get a new life dream, and do that until they have earned their orb. Then you can kill them, assign their orb to a new adult, and start again until you have a platinum orb.

It all sounds complicated at first, but you get the hang of it after a while.
As I said, there's a lot of useful information all over this forum, so search for relevant terms and get reading.

User avatar
Sherry
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler
Posts: 64
Joined: 31 Aug 2014, 22:24

Re: [PIC-GUIDE] Alive Sim's Orb usage!

Post by Sherry » 07 Sep 2014, 05:28

Thank you for the advice!! It helps alot. :D I will do that with my favorite Sims. I will miss them, not seeing them for quite awhile. I've been playing this game for too long. ;) I've been playing almost a year and a half. I did get tired of it for a month or two, but that's it.

This forum is wonderful. I have found some very helpful information. Since I have 25 Sims that will all be getting new hobbies (dreams) at once, should I work on like 10 Sims and let the others wait & do nothing? Or is it logical to work on 25 life dreams at once? I suppose I could have some Sims who only work, and don't have dreams. I hate to waste a sim that could obtain an orb though. :?

User avatar
mockingbird288z
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5165
Joined: 10 Oct 2013, 04:51
Location: Florida; UTC -4:00
Contact:

Re: [PIC-GUIDE] Alive Sim's Orb usage!

Post by mockingbird288z » 07 Sep 2014, 06:03

Because it is a long process I think it is best to have all 25 of your sims working on orbs at the same time.

The Geeky, Sporty, and Entertainer personalities all have life dreams that are "go to work as a scientist/athlete/actor/musician". You could have your sims go to work and work on their life dream at the same time! Except for my first time through the orb process that is what I do with all my orb grinders.
Facebook: Leah Taylor
HFN: 22 West Side -- Includes dog and cat
2017 Halloween Update

User avatar
Sherry
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler
Posts: 64
Joined: 31 Aug 2014, 22:24

Re: [PIC-GUIDE] Alive Sim's Orb usage!

Post by Sherry » 10 Sep 2014, 04:41

mockingbird288z wrote:Because it is a long process I think it is best to have all 25 of your sims working on orbs at the same time.

The Geeky, Sporty, and Entertainer personalities all have life dreams that are "go to work as a scientist/athlete/actor/musician". You could have your sims go to work and work on their life dream at the same time! Except for my first time through the orb process that is what I do with all my orb grinders.
Thanks for the info! I'm happy they will still be earning money, AND working on the orb. I still see quite a few people complaining on the Sims FP page on Facebook. I don't think EA will ever change this death bit. I think a fair amount of Simmers are hoping for that. I guess time will tell. I''ve just began my death quest, but I am all prepared.

theaellie sims
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler
Posts: 50
Joined: 03 Nov 2013, 14:03

Re: [PIC-GUIDE] Alive Sim's Orb usage!

Post by theaellie sims » 15 Oct 2014, 19:23

So I paused my adult sim usinga platinum orb and then he started working to a new bronze orb. I now get the message that to carry on working towards the orb he has to age to a senior which defeats the object of pausing him. Am I missing something? I really don't want to age him.

User avatar
ErinPW
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3586
Joined: 10 Sep 2013, 10:41
Location: Germany, UTC +1

Re: [PIC-GUIDE] Alive Sim's Orb usage!

Post by ErinPW » 15 Oct 2014, 21:08

theaellie sims wrote:So I paused my adult sim usinga platinum orb and then he started working to a new bronze orb. I now get the message that to carry on working towards the orb he has to age to a senior which defeats the object of pausing him. Am I missing something? I really don't want to age him.
Since the Saddle Up update only seniors can complete orbs :(
Split up per age:
Toddler up to 10%
Preteen up to 24%
Teen up to 44%
Adult up to 86%
Senior up to 100%

The platinum orb pauses the automatic aging. The sims can still age, if we tap the button (the two rounded arrows) and then advance. We can even resume the aging.

As you don't want to age your sim, just don't do it. The 86 % orb is useless. But I'd rather lose that orb instead of aging a saved sim.
Attachments
image.jpg
Resume aging
Halloween, 5.33.3
iOS 11.1.1

HFN 3 Eastside includes cat and dog.
Haunted House 1 Museums Boulevard and Volcano View

Post Reply