[Tips] For new SFP players

The tips and guides section.
General guides and tips only, quests have their own subsection!
User avatar
mockingbird288z
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5248
Joined: 10 Oct 2013, 04:51
Location: Florida; UTC -4:00
Contact:

Re: [Tips] For new SFP players

Post by mockingbird288z » 24 Feb 2016, 03:12

bloodcool said it best earlier:
bloodcool wrote: Yes, the game play has changed so much, especially with the queued quests that I find it very hard to keep updating. Since I would need to always get onto my tablet to make a reset in order to start afresh just so to be able to figure out the most optimum and balance way of playing, but with my real life commitments, i'm not able to do so... :(
Especially the queued quests. When they were added to the game it made it very difficult to keep starting a new game and play through to find the best way. And then you throw in the Discovery quests that were added later. It makes it too time consuming for one person to keep maintaining a list of tips. Everyone is free to share any tips they have on this topic, though. :)
Facebook: Leah Taylor
HFN: 22 West Side -- Includes dog and cat
2017 Holiday Update

nabziF
Newborn Sim
Newborn Sim
Posts: 5
Joined: 06 May 2016, 00:56

Re: [Tips] For new SFP players

Post by nabziF » 06 May 2016, 19:20

bloodcool wrote:
Lishws720 wrote:I would add that one of the best ways to increase your town value (and increase your daily mailbox simoleons) is to build the Sanctuary as often as possible. With the exception of the mansions, it gives you the most TV bang for the buck, and the LP cost doesn't increase drastically as you rank up and add more sims. Just think, if you can get your town value up to 50,000,000, you will receive 250,000 simoleons a day. You can always tear down the sanctuary house and rebuild to suit your needs (don't demolish, just sell it down to the grass). It's also a great way to get lots of greenery and two gardening patches.
to receive 250k simoleons from daily reward, you would have to been playing before year 2013... for players that started from year 2013 onwards, 50m TV will only provide 7k++ simoleons daily.
I think your TV=50m daily rewards 7k claim is wrong.

I just started playing about two weeks ago.

My TV is 4.6 million and my daily rewards are 6116 today.
If TV is the only factor in daily reward then it pays out about .1%

I have VIP=0, level 30, 18 (of 23 sims).

User avatar
Perturbee
Administrator/Owner
Administrator/Owner
Posts: 1405
Joined: 10 Sep 2013, 08:12
Location: Europe
Contact:

Re: [Tips] For new SFP players

Post by Perturbee » 06 May 2016, 20:25

First of all, you're quoting a post from October 2013.
nabziF wrote:
bloodcool wrote:
Lishws720 wrote:I would add that one of the best ways to increase your town value (and increase your daily mailbox simoleons) is to build the Sanctuary as often as possible. With the exception of the mansions, it gives you the most TV bang for the buck, and the LP cost doesn't increase drastically as you rank up and add more sims. Just think, if you can get your town value up to 50,000,000, you will receive 250,000 simoleons a day. You can always tear down the sanctuary house and rebuild to suit your needs (don't demolish, just sell it down to the grass). It's also a great way to get lots of greenery and two gardening patches.
to receive 250k simoleons from daily reward, you would have to been playing before year 2013... for players that started from year 2013 onwards, 50m TV will only provide 7k++ simoleons daily.
I think your TV=50m daily rewards 7k claim is wrong.

I just started playing about two weeks ago.

My TV is 4.6 million and my daily rewards are 6116 today.
If TV is the only factor in daily reward then it pays out about .1%

I have VIP=0, level 30, 18 (of 23 sims).
Claiming that it's wrong while you're on 4.6 million is a little unfair. At the time of the post it was probably even a little too low. If I remember the testing amounts correctly it must have been about 7.5k. Using my "formula" I come at just under 7.7k.

Nowadays the daily rewards ramp up quickly but level out soon enough according to the old mystical formula:
log(TV)*1000 and then something is added or subtracted based on goodness knows what.
Using your TV:
log(4600000) * 1000 = 6662 (and a bit).

This is part of a post I made on the old forum in 2013 and reposted both elsewhere and on this forum last year. The base is still the same.
Perturbee wrote:The old (pre February 2013) daily rewards were 0.5% of the Town Value. That's capped at § 2.1 billion (§ 2,147,483,647 Town Value), effectively the daily reward is capped at § 10,737,418. But since there is a limit on the amount of Simoleons you can have, you reach the § 100,000,000 very quickly!

The "new" (from February 2013) daily reward formula base is log(TV)*1000 and then something is added or subtracted based on goodness knows what. I have never been able to figure out what is added or subtracted and over time it seemed to have undergone some minor tweaks. There was a time that I saw an increase of § 1 per day of collecting (despite NOT doing anything else), now that's no longer the case.

log = Logarithm
With games started after some time last year (I think summer but it might have been earlier than that) there is a higher daily reward compared to older games. A 15million game started last autumn can now get about 8k per day, whereas games from between February 2013 and Summer 2015 have a lower DR even if they have the same town value. They may have changed it yet again.

With VIP they added an addition DR-% bonus, starting at 5% (of the Daily Reward, not Town Value).

User avatar
Lishws720
Sim Teen
Sim Teen
Posts: 439
Joined: 17 Oct 2013, 14:36
Location: Northern California U.S.A.

Re: [Tips] For new SFP players

Post by Lishws720 » 06 May 2016, 21:07

You're right, Perturbee. I have an old game which still gives .5% of the town value, but I also began a new game this year, and it gives me much more than §7000+ per day. My town value for that game is around 387,000,000 and I get over §10,800 per day, with no VIP points. It seems they did increase the payout sometime last year.
AliciaWS720 on Game Center: §418 mil town value, VIP 10, level 55. Started as a new game during the DIY update. Special thanks to all of you very creative people on this forum for inspiration in designing houses!

My game is fully updated on iOS.

nabziF
Newborn Sim
Newborn Sim
Posts: 5
Joined: 06 May 2016, 00:56

Re: [Tips] For new SFP players

Post by nabziF » 06 May 2016, 21:11

Perturbee wrote:First of all, you're quoting a post from October 2013.
nabziF wrote:
bloodcool wrote:
Lishws720 wrote:if you can get your town value up to 50,000,000, you will receive 250,000 simoleons a day. You can always tear down the sanctuary house and rebuild to suit your needs (don't demolish, just sell it down to the grass). It's also a great way to get lots of greenery and two gardening patches.
to receive 250k simoleons from daily reward, you would have to been playing before year 2013... for players that started from year 2013 onwards, 50m TV will only provide 7k++ simoleons daily.
I think your TV=50m daily rewards 7k claim is wrong.

My TV is 4.6 million and my daily rewards are 6116 today.
Nowadays the daily rewards ramp up quickly but level out soon enough according to the old mystical formula:
log(TV)*1000 and then something is added or subtracted based on goodness knows what.
Using your TV:
log(4600000) * 1000 = 6662 (and a bit).

[...]
With games started after some time last year (I think summer but it might have been earlier than that) there is a higher daily reward compared to older games. A 15million game started last autumn can now get about 8k per day, whereas games from between February 2013 and Summer 2015 have a lower DR even if they have the same town value. They may have changed it yet again.

With VIP they added an addition DR-% bonus, starting at 5% (of the Daily Reward, not Town Value).
I noticed the payout ramp up what seemed to be rapidly to me and doubted
that it was going to stay so low if I raise town value by 10x.

If the payout for DR is based on log, then bloodcool is right.

A log based formula would make this DR be almost useless for later levels ...

fizzwizz
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler
Posts: 11
Joined: 19 Jul 2016, 22:04

Sim Coach Wanted

Post by fizzwizz » 23 Jul 2016, 22:41

I just started playing this month and from reading here, i think i found myself a hobby for years to come! I started slow (with my old simcity mentality), didnt quite get all the detail of the game, made up characters pretty easily,then i didnt want pets, so i didnt build the pet store... i didnt necessarily want police nor kids so... i chose what i liked, the recording studio, the night club (i was going for a small town nightlife mood) but the mall is taking forever to finish the 2nd floor so im starting to think i screwed up the game! im at level 21 with 13 sims (i thought i had too many but im supposed to have 18) and 3 empty houses! Relationships i picked up first, but i could only marry this one couple (the others always turn down a 10000 ring) then i tried 2 girls moving in together, and a third moved in cause i chose the wrong character.. and then those 3 live right next to the Art gallery, which is fine... they wont get married, im not gonna even try! i had made a mistake that changed the name of one of the girl; cause if you move in a guy in with a girl, both will keep their original names, but if the girl moves in with a guy, her name will change. As well as a girl moving in with a girl: they'll have the same name, so thats how i got stuck with 4 same last names (the Ventura sisters), so i made them all artists!

I would invite people to my town but its too small for now and, no police so...... but eventually id like to have other towns to visit but i cant imagine having 100 towns friends ...maybe 3 or 4 id be happy! so any suggestions would be welcome !

Now id have a couple of questions after reading here : Whats the difference between discovery quests and the regular kind... Are them all obligatory? I missed out on the camping outdoors quest, i had a week but the sunset mall quest is still ongoing, i dont really mind cause in the meen time my sims goto work everyay and its a fairly good payday. But missing out on camping kinda frustrated me a little!

...and about kids, do you need to be married? i was hesitant to do the 2 1/2 sims quest but i guess i'll do it now (with my unmarried couple)!

Thank you all for posting and feel free to PM me.

User avatar
thirsty4souls
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen
Posts: 179
Joined: 01 Feb 2016, 19:47
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Contact:

Re: Sim Coach Wanted

Post by thirsty4souls » 26 Jul 2016, 05:01

fizzwizz wrote:I just started playing this month and from reading here, i think i found myself a hobby for years to come! I started slow (with my old simcity mentality), didnt quite get all the detail of the game, made up characters pretty easily,then i didnt want pets, so i didnt build the pet store... i didnt necessarily want police nor kids so... i chose what i liked, the recording studio, the night club (i was going for a small town nightlife mood) but the mall is taking forever to finish the 2nd floor so im starting to think i screwed up the game! im at level 21 with 13 sims (i thought i had too many but im supposed to have 18) and 3 empty houses! Relationships i picked up first, but i could only marry this one couple (the others always turn down a 10000 ring) then i tried 2 girls moving in together, and a third moved in cause i chose the wrong character.. and then those 3 live right next to the Art gallery, which is fine... they wont get married, im not gonna even try! i had made a mistake that changed the name of one of the girl; cause if you move in a guy in with a girl, both will keep their original names, but if the girl moves in with a guy, her name will change. As well as a girl moving in with a girl: they'll have the same name, so thats how i got stuck with 4 same last names (the Ventura sisters), so i made them all artists!

I would invite people to my town but its too small for now and, no police so...... but eventually id like to have other towns to visit but i cant imagine having 100 towns friends ...maybe 3 or 4 id be happy! so any suggestions would be welcome !

Now id have a couple of questions after reading here : Whats the difference between discovery quests and the regular kind... Are them all obligatory? I missed out on the camping outdoors quest, i had a week but the sunset mall quest is still ongoing, i dont really mind cause in the meen time my sims goto work everyay and its a fairly good payday. But missing out on camping kinda frustrated me a little!

...and about kids, do you need to be married? i was hesitant to do the 2 1/2 sims quest but i guess i'll do it now (with my unmarried couple)!

Thank you all for posting and feel free to PM me.
I will answer what I know.
•The marriage proposal is more likely to succed if you offer one of your Sims a cheap ring (like the one with the dinosaur). The partner will reject it and ask for one more expensive. Then you buy any of the others (I go straight to the one that costs LP cause I'm cheap and don't want to waste my simoleons on that :lol:). If you're lucky, the sim will accept this time. If not, buy 'em the next one on the list.
•The thing with the last names changing is something that a lot of us find annoying. The only way to solve it (that I know of, besides being extremely careful when moving sims in and out) is changing it with a full makeover that costs LP. But personally, I don't think is worth it unless you have really messed up your families :p
•To add neighbours to your town you should check the threads in this forum, depending on what platform you use to connect to the game (Facebook, Game Center, Google Store...). Sorry I can't link them for you, browser won't let me open tabs while I write, but surely the moderators or users will be so kind as always and hand them over to you if you can't find the threads yourself :)
•As for the quests, the main difference is that Discovery Quests are optional. You can choose when and if you want to start and/or complete them. The thing is, like the regular quests, when you do complete them, you unlock prizes, items and hobbies (like the one with the puppies and kittens). The regular quests allow you to keep progressing in the game, but you can stop doing them at any time you want (like some of us did with the last one, the Death's quest :lol:). Although you can't skip them, so if you want certain prize or item unlocked in a quest but you haven't finished the previous ones, you can't have it unless you follow the order :(
•Regarding babies, yes, you must have a married couple living together to have one. I'm not sure of how the adoption system works tho.

Hope I've helped you out a bit. Sorry if I made any mistake, which is likely...
Someone will guide you back to the right path :mrgreen:

Regards.
~ Retired ~ :(

User avatar
Rosie
Sim Teen
Sim Teen
Posts: 301
Joined: 16 Jul 2015, 05:27

Re: [Tips] For new SFP players

Post by Rosie » 07 Sep 2016, 22:35

I began a 2nd game 2 weeks ago and I can't believe how much it's changed. I've been playing my main game since March of 2013 and it was much cheaper back then. Also, I did begin a 2nd game on my android phone about a year ago, and accidentally lost it with my cloud save. So I began this new game 2 weeks ago and the ladies hair styles are awful. Even compared to just one year ago when I began a 2nd game, they are much more limited. Do I have to wait for another long hair event? I can't remember if the mall sold any long hair styles for adults. I know it did for teens. I am at level 16 on the swimming event, and to build the swim center, it cost $150,000. I have 15 sims and they work & plant all day if they aren't doing quests. Is the price of the swim center based on how many sims I have? I will have to wait at least one more day before I can afford the swim center. They really crank through these tasks (quests) now, rather than offering a week off in between to earn money. FM & EA have become very greedy. $$$ :o

CarrieMae
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler
Posts: 79
Joined: 26 Sep 2016, 18:41

Re: [Tips] For new SFP players

Post by CarrieMae » 18 Oct 2016, 20:24

Regarding TV, it is rather discouraging to know that some people get millions in DR every day, and I can probably never get more than 10-12K.

Right now, my TV is around 34M, and I get about 8k in DR. Someone above posted that their TV is 387M and they get almost $11k per day. So, if I increase my TV another $353M, I'm only gonna get about another $2-3k in DR. That's kinda depressing. Doesn't seem to make much sense to spend millions to increase TV for only a few lousy thousands.

User avatar
copperwood
Sim Teen
Sim Teen
Posts: 412
Joined: 25 Jan 2016, 23:13

Re: [Tips] For new SFP players

Post by copperwood » 30 Jan 2017, 06:11

I just recently started a second game. The best tip I can give is to make a lot of money early on. To do this have your first couple of sims make enough money to build the Japanese Retreat house. You need 9000 simoleons.
Delete the second house and it's sim.
Build Japanese retreat.
Delete room by room. Items will go into inventory and you get money from deleting the rooms.
Don't forget to put outdoor water features into inventory or sell them (they are worth 5000 simoleons each)
Once you have everything valuable in your inventory and all the rooms deleted, demolish the lot.
Repeat this until you have enough money.

I did this till I had over a million. I also built the Neo Tokyo house a few times because I wanted the 3 star tv and some other items. With all the items going into inventory you can sell them later on.

Post Reply