Trying to find a way to make this fun again

All information about updates!
(Quests, new stuff, other features!)
mommacude
Sim Elder
Sim Elder

Trying to find a way to make this fun again

Post by mommacude »

I may be focusing on this wrong, but I'm having a hard time finding a fun way to play since the update. I was not one of the folks that was terribly upset about the sims dying because I'm a new player. If I want someone with that same name I'll just create them again.

But, I find having to just check in several times a day to keep the sims doing their life dreams over and over again really boring. :( In the past I focused on all the weekly and social goals as well as trying to finish the quests.

Now I'm sending my toddler over and over to the blackboard, my preteen on the trampoline, and a few to bed to dream about zombies. The only ones I can "play" with are the ones that want to work at the stadium. At least they can do what they want after they get off work. I can let them do hobbies to gain LP or accomplish goals.

Am I missing something? I feel like I'm playing one of those farmville type games where you just keep planting and harvesting stuff, whatever. I mean I don't mind doing some gardening, but in the past I just did garlic at night to get my XP to level up.

If I ignore the life dreams, I won't be able to add the new areas to play around in. But to get them I feel like I'm just constantly repeating the same actions and then sending them occasionally to the singing fish to get inspired and back to their task again.

Sorry to sound like I'm complaining. I've tried to keep a positive attitude about the game, but I'm starting to lose interest. :(
GC: mommacude
Checking things out after a long time away.
Cyril
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Re: Trying to find a way to make this fun again

Post by Cyril »

I think your posting shows how the developers have got it wrong with this update.

I too have updated, and have found that if you get the correct task for the life goal, the game can be played, although it is a very long game now, where it will take weeks, if not months, to completely build the extra community sites and hobby places. I think many of the older players, like myself, have got used to being able to race through the challenges very quickly.

I had overestimated how quickly my Sims would die, and there does seem to be time to have a little action other than the life goals. I have achieved orbs at pre-teen level, and then had to kill off really new Sims to get the orb.

I think that until there is a radical change with the next update (I'm hopeful), the only way to make the game playable is to use the 'Save to the Cloud' option before you get a life goal, and reset if you get one you can't fit in to your style of play.

If I get really long tasks, that suits me fine, but the short ones (except for collecting Seashells!) make it impossible for me to play the game as it currently is written.

The reduction in the LP cost to roll back a Sims life phase has been a great help, but some of those life goals are just impossible. Some of the Sims who got goals before I used the Save and Reset trick, were getting nowhere, so now I always use the trick before a change in life phase, and cherry-pick the next life goal. I think it is the only way until the developers admit that they got this update terribly wrong.
Game Centre Name: neildf
telemwill
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Post by telemwill »

I think it is best not to give all of your Sims life dreams. Instead keep a few back to play with as normally. I have some doing life dreams, some doing hobbies, some gardening, some reading biographies (Sims waiting for platinum orbs), and sometimes I work on the weekly quest. Gardening tends to be those who have finished life dreams. Those who are not doing life dreams, when I exit the game, are left doing short tasks like the ten minute hobbies or reading. It helps the variety a bit.
HFN at #11 West Side. Haunted House at #1 East Side. Three star instruments at #3 East Side.
Lishws720
Sim Teen
Sim Teen

Post by Lishws720 »

I, too, have found the game boring now. I've updated, and I have two games with the old daily value payout, and two that I started fairly recently (one of them after the update). Once I reached level 24 on the new games, my interest waned in the game. I visit my worlds about once a week, but I'm not even trying to earn orbs and save my sims. I'm in a very passive mode now, just waiting to see if they'll fix this with a new update so I can play and enjoy the game again.
AliciaWS720 on Game Center: §418 mil town value, VIP 10, level 55. Started as a new game during the DIY update. Special thanks to all of you very creative people on this forum for inspiration in designing houses!

My game is fully updated on iOS.
mommacude
Sim Elder
Sim Elder

Post by mommacude »

OK well so I'm not missing anything. lol

I already have everyone with goals. I suppose I could remove some sims and start them as adults, but if they don't have a goal they'll still age and die, right? My teen idol has a goal but I don't let him do anything other than play music because I want the mansion. (poor kid)

I will definitely do the save to the cloud before having a birthday or adding a SIM in the future. Thanks.

I hope they make some changes!

I did notice my senior only had to pay 4LP to roll back last night. I was wondering why it wasn't 10.
KittySneakers
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Post by KittySneakers »

The only goal I really hate is the - I want to act as the Life Guard at the Swim Center - the longest increment is only 25 minutes and since I have a real life, too, she just winds up standing around for long periods of time when she's done her 25 minutes. I think 3 hours would have been a nice option along with the 3 minutes and 25 minutes.
mommacude
Sim Elder
Sim Elder

Post by mommacude »

KittySneakers wrote:The only goal I really hate is the - I want to act as the Life Guard at the Swim Center - the longest increment is only 25 minutes and since I have a real life, too, she just winds up standing around for long periods of time when she's done her 25 minutes. I think 3 hours would have been a nice option along with the 3 minutes and 25 minutes.
I agree. I have that assigned to a senior so either I'm just going to let him die without an orb, or pay to give him more time. I haven't decided yet.
telemwill
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Post by telemwill »

mommacude wrote:OK well so I'm not missing anything. lol

I already have everyone with goals. I suppose I could remove some sims and start them as adults, but if they don't have a goal they'll still age and die, right? My teen idol has a goal but I don't let him do anything other than play music because I want the mansion. (poor kid)

I will definitely do the save to the cloud before having a birthday or adding a SIM in the future. Thanks.

I hope they make some changes!

I did notice my senior only had to pay 4LP to roll back last night. I was wondering why it wasn't 10.
My Sims without life goals haven't aged much because I leave them doing short tasks when I exit the game. I have had to roll back a couple of toddlers, but I have since decided to let all but one begin a life dream.
HFN at #11 West Side. Haunted House at #1 East Side. Three star instruments at #3 East Side.
Nandireya
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Post by Nandireya »

I haven't earned a single damn orb...outside the one in the original 'let's commit mass murder!' quest. My poor sacrificial sims (plus one because one of them needs to talk to someone) are stuck doing the same thing over and over and over. I've turned back their age at least twice each because I won't let them move on until they get their frikken orb. One's close...she's at 93%, but the others are at 68% and a paltry 18%! The damn hobbies level up faster!
HordePrime
Sim Adult
Sim Adult

Post by HordePrime »

Nandireya wrote:I haven't earned a single damn orb...outside the one in the original 'let's commit mass murder!' quest. My poor sacrificial sims (plus one because one of them needs to talk to someone) are stuck doing the same thing over and over and over. I've turned back their age at least twice each because I won't let them move on until they get their frikken orb.
You know you've got your whole life time to get the orb, not just one age phase, right?

In other words, if you're talking about a toddler or preteen, you're actually doing more harm turning their age back since it is generally easier (more efficient) to get an orb from an adult.