Unsure how to proceed...

All information about updates!
(Quests, new stuff, other features!)
Bongi
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Unsure how to proceed...

Post by Bongi »

I held off on the life dreams update until the Easter items were made available... (had been waiting all year so that I could decorate with those sweet wall-papers & flooring... the items were bonus for me!) If I wanted the Easter decor, then I had to accept the aging...

After much huffing & puffing, I decided that I was going to try to change my negative approach to this update. I decided to play out my sims life dreams as they were handed to me and then evaluate whether I liked the game enough to keep playing...

I've laid to rest two sim-souls and am now intrigued by this new currency. I've placed two toddlers and two women into a "stasis home." I've purchased a pee-cleaner for that home and am not interacting at all with them, in hopes that I could keep them ageless while I earn enough orbs to permanently prevent their growth... (I'm smitten with the toddler witch & vampire costumes and really like the ladies red & green Christmas outfits... By not interacting with them, they are not aging, so thus far, it's working. I'm happy about that. The seasonal clothing options aren't available anymore so I want to keep them.)

About half of my sims have completed their life dreams and are going about their lives, earning money and hanging out while their clocks tick. The other half are at various stages and grinding at their life goals. My guess is that a few of them will pass on without earning their orbs. The game is definitely more interesting than it was, definitely more challenging. Definitely no longer static. I'd like the option to opt-out of aging but it's growing on me and I don't regret updating.

So here are my questions... I've read that the horses update has altered clothing and messed with orbs that are close to being finished. I'm looking for advice on how best to move forward. I'm holding off on horses for now, but the orb grinding will be futile if I've managed to permanently pause my sims for the sake of their costumes, only to have them ripped away with an update. Does anyone have any experience with sim's appearance being changed if they've been "platinum paused?"

Would folks who have the life dreams update recommend that I "use up" my completed orbs before getting the horse update? Should I focus on building the beach & arcade instead of trying to keep sims in outfits that are no longer seasonally available?

I know that many folks are still upset about the life dreams/aging, but I've accepted it and it's brought me back to the game. I just don't want my recent grinding to be lost and I admit that I still don't have a great understanding of how the orbs play out in the long run. The update changes rules that I haven't completely wrapped my head around... so now I'm confused again...
KisaraDoll
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Re: Unsure how to proceed...

Post by KisaraDoll »

I also held off on LD until Easter for the same reasons. I wish they would have left the Easter wallpaper/floors available for longer, though.

I'm going to hold off on the horses until I have some Platinum orbs saved up. Also, I will wait to see how other people are affected in terms of loss of clothes/hairstyles.

If you're on a iPad/iPhone it is pretty easy to update, look around, and as long as you don't save to the cloud, remove the update and reinstall the LD version.
Reindeer Farm - 20 West Side (above the park on the left)
hiser1974

Post by hiser1974 »

I have just updated to the Life Dreams update, so the Horses update will have to wait.
I will try some stuff in my testgame to see how collecting orbs is affected and then decide whether or not to update or to first collect some platinum orbs. I have at least 10 sims I want to keep so that could take awhile.
I think if you are unsure about updating, it is best to wait for now.
Then when more information is available about this update, the changes it brings and how to affects gameplay, you can decide if you want to update or not. That's at least how I would do it.
Lolasimdog
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Post by Lolasimdog »

I think this is a really good question, and one I wish I'd know the answers to before I updated.

I had several sims only a few percentages away from finishing their life dreams and getting their orbs (mainly bronze but two silver ones). After I updated, these sims had to pause in working towards their life dreams, unless I deliberately aged them up. The two I did age up early (very early) then got new life dreams, and as the senior life dreams are mainly awful, they are now having to work all day towards getting them finished before they automatically die.

For instance, the sporty sim I had at 90-something percent by entering statistics on a computer (which is already an awful goal to build up) had to become a senior sim whose life goal is to be a lifeguard at the pool - the absolute worst goal I've seen, taking three minutes at a time and not moving at all. She did it virtually all day yesterday, every time I could possibly get to her to get her to repeat it, and she's not moved a single percent, nor after doing it all this morning either. So a day and a half of repeats and nothing. She ain't finishing that last few percent before she dies, no way. So if this was a new regular stage of starting this senior goal, at 86%, it would never be possible at all.

I'd recommend finishing any sims life orbs you have nearly finished to get them before updating, as it's much harder to finish them with seniors.
ksyrah
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Post by ksyrah »

For the lifeguard goal, the 25 minute option also works toward the goal, making it slightly less awful.
Lolasimdog
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Post by Lolasimdog »

ksyrah wrote:For the lifeguard goal, the 25 minute option also works toward the goal, making it slightly less awful.
That is really interesting, thank you!
Bongi
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Post by Bongi »

I just realized that I never thanked anyone for the responses here. They were very helpful. I did hold off on updating, only recently going to horses/carnival. I love the new content but admit that it's a little overwhelming having so many quests in queue. I really like that the time limits on these new quests seem more reasonable though. I haven't had to use LP in order to complete them in time, and that's a HUGE improvement.

Anyway, I'm glad that I waited. By the time I did, it seems that FM fixed the issue of losing special clothing. My sims sporting their Santa suits & Halloween costumes are still wearing them, so I was happy about that.

I did mess up some of the orb planning, but it was ok, as I was able to get most of my valued sims paused before updating. The others, I'll just not interact with until I've got enough platinum orbs... So it's all good.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks!
Microdot
Sim Adult
Sim Adult

Post by Microdot »

Hi Bongi

I got your PM today, but I wasn't able to answer. It seems you have disabled private message receipt?
I therefore take use of this old forum post.
I didn't get your GC request, so I sent you one back :).
Game #1: Lvl. 55 Desert Oasis Gamecenter
HFN=Starter House, GH=Museum Boulevard
Game #2: Lvl. 55 Desert Oasis Facebook & Google+
HFN=Starter House, GH=Firehouse Road
Contact information in my profile - Mention forum please
Bongi
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Post by Bongi »

Microdot wrote:It seems you have disabled private message receipt?
Thank you!

It appears that I had my Game Center notices off too. I would not have thought to look there, to accept your request, were it not for your very thoughtful post!

I think I've updated my notifications & settings, both here & in GC... (I hope I did them correctly!)
Microdot
Sim Adult
Sim Adult

Post by Microdot »

Bongi wrote:
Microdot wrote:It seems you have disabled private message receipt?
Thank you!

It appears that I had my Game Center notices off too. I would not have thought to look there, to accept your request, were it not for your very thoughtful post!

I think I've updated my notifications & settings, both here & in GC... (I hope I did them correctly!)
You're most welcome :).
Game #1: Lvl. 55 Desert Oasis Gamecenter
HFN=Starter House, GH=Museum Boulevard
Game #2: Lvl. 55 Desert Oasis Facebook & Google+
HFN=Starter House, GH=Firehouse Road
Contact information in my profile - Mention forum please