The Homeless Challenge

Participate, organise or follow the challenges made up by players for players!
Perturbee
Administrator/Owner
Administrator/Owner

The Homeless Challenge

Post by Perturbee »

The Homeless challenge!

Warning: this is not an easy "reach the target" challenge!

The rules were created for realism, not sanity.
This challenge is a rewrite of the Sims 2's Poverty/Homeless Challenge by yinakori, adapted by me to suit the Sims Freeplay.

Basic synopsis:
Your Sim is one of the thousands of homeless roaming the streets. With little to nothing in its name, can they save up enough to buy their own little lot of land and finally leave the streets for good?

Setting up:
Add or change/use one adult (inspired) Sim.

The Home Lot:
Your Sim found this abandoned lot on the corner of nowhere as a safe place to sleep and sometimes store little titbits. Your Sim dreams about someday owning it…

Buy/use any size lot and “reserve” § 100 as a starting fund (see below).
You cannot have a house or build anything on the small lot, including swimming pools, etc. The only thing you are allowed to do is make the smallest possible room (3 by 3 tiles/squares) to store your objects in (with a door obviously). This is your storage shack, not a shelter. It has no water/gas/electricity!
(If you can not afford to clear a lot, remove all doors of the building(s) and any outdoors items that aren't allowed and add your storage shack. Obviously it has to be a lot without pool as well.)

Objects:
- You are allowed to place six tiles/squares of portable objects on the ground in the small shack, during the duration of the challenge. (That means you don't have to buy them at the start.)
- Your Sim has to earn the items you add, but since the cost of everything is higher than in the regular game, you may use the (10%) selling price as the cost. (LP items are counted as § 50 per LP). Remember that your starting fund is § 100!
- Only small, “non-permanent” objects are allowed. Placing anything else on the lot will alert the police to the fact that your Sim is hiding there and might get your Sim thrown into jail for trespassing.
- No toilets, sinks, fridges, baths, phones, stoves or even gardening plots, etc.
- Be reasonable: a statue, though only taking up one tile, is most definitely not portable. An easel, however, is. And a (decorative) tent is not considered portable for our purposes (and doesn't fit in the shack).
- A few objects seem to be ‘gray area’: the telescope is considered portable. A stack of magazines is too, so an object to put them on in the shack is allowed (and is “free”). A TV is not considered portable or usable, your Sim hasn't access to electricity. A battery powered radio (only the 1 square ones, indoors or outdoors) is allowed.
- A grill is obviously not portable, and neither is anything that causes fire, really. The police would immediately notice your Sim and evict them.
- Your Sim is allowed ONE (free) pet. (Free in this sense means that you don't have to calculate the cost for it in §). It does cost you one square of the allowed six, but keep in mind that food bowls, toys and such also count against your six square allowance!
- It is allowed to move objects around inside the storage shack if it obstructs the use of another item in the shack.
- You are free to decorate the lot with outdoors trees or non-potted plants. You are allowed up to two park benches from the outdoors furniture section. (No cost for this needs to be calculated, it's a "free" environment).

Money Matters:
Your Sim cannot take a job because of your Sim's shabby appearance. Use your resources wisely.
If your Sim already has a career, ignore it and don't send them to work!

Needs:
As you may have assumed, your Sim's survival depends upon using the community lots well.
- The community lots have toilets and other amenities.
- Your Sim is not allowed to use other homes to fulfil needs.

Meeting other Sims:
Since Sims Freeplay does not have NPCs (Non Player Characters) like the regular Sims' Townies, I found it hard to come up with a rule-set about this. I hope the following is reasonable enough.
- Your hobo is allowed to meet one Sim per day at a community lot.
- No Sim is allowed to interact with your hobo on the hobo's home lot.
- Your hobo is not allowed to visit other houses

Finishing the Challenge:
The basic goal of it all is to earn § 10,000 any way possible, which is achieved by doing hobbies at community lots. The big difference with the regular game is that your Sim isn't charged for food or receives bills. Therefore deduct § 100 for every visit to a community lot and § 150 for every visit to the Snow Park, or once per day if they stay on a community lot for multiple days. (You are allowed to earn the cost for your first visit on the community lot, next visits need to be paid from the earnings so far).

Since Sims Freeplay doesn't have a family fund like regular Sims games, you'll have to keep track yourself (on a piece of paper for example).

After earning § 10,000, your Sim can apply to be the owner of the abandoned lot your Sim sometimes haunts (AKA your Sim's Home lot), and the challenge is over.

Disaster:
If your poor Sim's food motive is almost drained (red) it is considered that it has died of starvation, you do have ONE grace revival in case of a situation impossible to survive as a hobo in. That's all. Once you get over that, you lose the challenge.

+500 additionally for every Dating relationship
+100 for every hobby level your Sim ended up with (max 6 obviously)
+1000 for every § 5,000 (so at the end, if you finish, you’ll get 2,000 points automatically)

-10 for every day that it takes to get to § 10,000 (if you finish)
-100 for every motive being less than full

There is no time-limit to do this challenge and it can be started whenever you wish.
Hufflepuff Karen
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Re: The Homeless Challenge

Post by Hufflepuff Karen »

That's quite a challenge! I might try it, but if I have a an employed Sim do I just not send them to work? I don't have enough levels to get a new Sim and I don't really want them to "quit" their job, but if we don't send them to work, does that count?

I was thinking of reverting Rolanda's sanctuary to park land, and having her move closer to town, so maybe I could "foreclose" on her house, board it up, and she could hide out in the trees that surround the lot. Going to wait until the teen idol thing is done, and my current key challenge is caught up. Have some renovations to do on my HFN first, too!

Going to save this challenge post, so I can come back to it and figure out if I can participate!
I think, therefore, I Sim! (Or I did before they told me to "harvest" them)
HFN at Starter House (22 West Side); Pools& pets at several homes
Ghost hunting 2 Museum Blvd
GC: Hufflepuff Karen
TV $330,648,445 on 03/12/2014; Lvl 48
Perturbee
Administrator/Owner
Administrator/Owner

Post by Perturbee »

Hufflepuff Karen wrote:That's quite a challenge! I might try it, but if I have a an employed Sim do I just not send them to work? I don't have enough levels to get a new Sim and I don't really want them to "quit" their job, but if we don't send them to work, does that count?
Yes, indeed, you can use an employed Sim, as long as they don't go to work!
I've added it in the original post, thank you for asking!
SIMazing
Sim Elder
Sim Elder

Post by SIMazing »

Sounds like a fantastic challenge! :D. Can't wait to get started!

But, I am a bit confused on how they earn their money. Please let me know if I have this right or wrong: to earn money, they go to a community lot to do a hobby; the money collected from the hobby is what goes toward their goal, minus the amount for being in that community lot. Does that mean that all money that the hobo collects must be earned from community lot hobbies? Are we defining "community lot" as one that is made by the game (only the snow park, swimming center, community center, and park)?

Thanks! Excited! :D
HFN 1: Starter House with haunted upstairs, 1 firepole: (22 West Side)
HFN 2 -Clue House with 4 firepoles: on island behind Tempest of Bliss (3 Bliss Drive)
Perturbee
Administrator/Owner
Administrator/Owner

Post by Perturbee »

SIMazing wrote:Sounds like a fantastic challenge! :D. Can't wait to get started!

But, I am a bit confused on how they earn their money. Please let me know if I have this right or wrong: to earn money, they go to a community lot to do a hobby; the money collected from the hobby is what goes toward their goal, minus the amount for being in that community lot. Does that mean that all money that the hobo collects must be earned from community lot hobbies? Are we defining "community lot" as one that is made by the game (only the snow park, swimming center, community center, and park)?

Thanks! Excited! :D
You got it completely right, you can only use community lots to care for your Sim's needs and gather money, although the pet at the 'home lot' can of course also add some money.

Indeed only the snow park, swimming center, community center, and park. Own created "community" lots don't count, to keep things even and fair for everyone.

It is actually easier than I expected, on the Sims 2 and 3 this is a tough challenge. (Target § 20,000 and higher difficulty due to other costs, more motive drains and different income.) I do think this is a fun thing to do with one Sim on either the regular or Freeplay version.
mrs_smartt
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Post by mrs_smartt »

This one would be difficult for me to do. I don't have my community centre built yet so no diving for the hobo in my town. I'm still trying to figure out what hobbies give money and which ones don't. If we have a pet for our hobo, can they money they find be added towards our $10,000?
GC: TARDIS Rose (Closed)(Not Updated)
Wildlife Sanctuary: 3 West Oceanside
Haunted House/Maze: 12 West Side / 1 West Oceanside
HFN (In Progress): 2 West Oceanside
Perturbee
Administrator/Owner
Administrator/Owner

Post by Perturbee »

Yes, the money the pet collects is earning too. That does go very slow though.
Snow Park = Skating
Park = Fishing
Swimming Center = Diving
Community Center = Woodworking

The lots also have toilets and other usable objects to keep your Sim inspired
Lishws720
Sim Teen
Sim Teen

Post by Lishws720 »

Eliana Fioretti is my "starving" artist. She and her cat, ShaSha, have been evicted from their bank-foreclosed Neo Tokyo home on the island. With meager supplies, they have taken up shelter across from the art gallery in the ruins of a sanctuary home (the outhouse has been converted to a shed, and the 4 x 4 main house is gone). I hadn't paid close attention before to how much the woodworking hobby generates in simoleons, but, wow! After two hours of 4-minute sessions, Eliana has made over 1900 simoleons (Sammy Splinter kept coming up at 250 each), and is now taking a well-deserved rest at the ski lodge. This challenge is fun, thanks Perturbee!
AliciaWS720 on Game Center: §418 mil town value, VIP 10, level 55. Started as a new game during the DIY update. Special thanks to all of you very creative people on this forum for inspiration in designing houses!

My game is fully updated on iOS.
Perturbee
Administrator/Owner
Administrator/Owner

Post by Perturbee »

My Sim Fool Folle who has been declared bankrupt after an investment scandal ended up on the streets. So far he seems to be doing remarkably well. Yesterday he made § 1260 and today he's already earning more.

Doing this challenge in the Sims 2/3 is much harder, my Sim Amelie Lost didn't make it the first time, she did barely survive the second round.

This was/is Amelie in Sims 3 (while trying to get her Fun motive up):
Homeless-Amelie_Lost.jpg
Part of her outfit comes from the Supernatural Expansion pack.
animagif
Sim Teen
Sim Teen

Post by animagif »

Do bonuses from the island statues count as earnings?
bazlit on Game Center (not updated to simpocalypse)
HFN at starter house. Ghost hunting at 1 Museum Blvd.