New Update that's coming Kills off our Sims--OH NO

All the Sims Freeplay discussions can be held here.
hipmomx2
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Re: New Update that's coming Kills off our Sims--OH NO

Post by hipmomx2 »

SimMutt wrote:OK, thanks for explaining hipmom.

What I would say is that the game has purposely encouraged players to build up attachments to sims for two years. Our interactions with the game are to feed our sims, clothe them, put roofs over their heads; give 'em kids, pets, bad haircuts, green sparkles etc. Hitherto, the most negative thing you could do to your sim was on the level of a false handshake.

Now we're killing 'em off so we can get to the beach. It's a bizarre U-turn. :shock:
I do see your point but again, its just a game. Everyone complains about every single update and then it goes from complaining to whining and I find it rather silly. I apologize if I've offended anyone but I believe the majority of us are adults and our pouting days should be over. Grrrr...just frustrated. Can't make all the people happy all the time.
SimMutt
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Post by SimMutt »

hipmomx2 wrote:
SimMutt wrote:OK, thanks for explaining hipmom.

What I would say is that the game has purposely encouraged players to build up attachments to sims for two years. Our interactions with the game are to feed our sims, clothe them, put roofs over their heads; give 'em kids, pets, bad haircuts, green sparkles etc. Hitherto, the most negative thing you could do to your sim was on the level of a false handshake.

Now we're killing 'em off so we can get to the beach. It's a bizarre U-turn. :shock:
I do see your point but again, its just a game. Everyone complains about every single update and then it goes from complaining to whining and I find it rather silly. I apologize if I've offended anyone but I believe the majority of us are adults and our pouting days should be over. Grrrr...just frustrated. Can't make all the people happy all the time.
And to be fair to the Firemonkeys, a death-centred update was always going to be a hard one to sell... :o
blackbrit
Sim Adult
Sim Adult

Post by blackbrit »

hipmomx2 wrote: I do see your point but again, its just a game. Everyone complains about every single update and then it goes from complaining to whining and I find it rather silly. I apologize if I've offended anyone but I believe the majority of us are adults and our pouting days should be over. Grrrr...just frustrated. Can't make all the people happy all the time.
Think back a bit to the Christmas update, or the Moving Up update. I think those were pretty much universally acclaimed here and elsewhere. So they hit some home runs, too.
L 55, Easter Update
HFN, #2 Firehouse RD.
Haunted House #20 West Side. Pre-built HH @ #1 Firehouse RD.
"C" for 74 cats, "R" for 80 reindeer; See map view
GC: blackbrit.1
For GC: Mention Hay Day or SFP
Debbilu_7
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Post by Debbilu_7 »

And to be fair to the Firemonkeys, a death-centred update was always going to be a hard one to sell...
Agreed...I think there would be less strenuous objection (or maybe I should just speak for myself!) if death weren't being transformed into a currency. I'd rather unlock content through the efforts of my "living" sims and perhaps remember those who have died with a marker in a cemetery where those left behind could lay wreaths or something in tribute...

...strange discussion... :?
Updated town info in profile
Hufflepuff Karen
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Post by Hufflepuff Karen »

I turn aging off in Sims 2 and Sims 3 - that's my choice. Others use it and their dead Sims end up haunting their families or get gravestones and urns for the sims left behind to mourn. That is THEIR choice. If SFP takes that choice away and the only way to advance or unlock special content is to kill off my limited number of Sims, then I don't know if I want to play any more. My Sims are unnaturally long-lived... Normal aging for them would be for them to live about 150 years. If I was playing with LOTR characters, some of them would age like that, too. Does FM think "natural aging" means my Sims will die before they are 90 years old? We have characters that are werewolves and whatnot, who says what "natural aging" is for them?

They are our characters, our stories - we want to control our sims (they always ask that in the surveys). What is the point of taking the control away from us? Why play if we can't create our stories and control the ways the way those stories play out?
I think, therefore, I Sim! (Or I did before they told me to "harvest" them)
HFN at Starter House (22 West Side); Pools& pets at several homes
Ghost hunting 2 Museum Blvd
GC: Hufflepuff Karen
TV $330,648,445 on 03/12/2014; Lvl 48
mudgenie
Sim Adult
Sim Adult

Post by mudgenie »

hipmomx2 wrote:I think one issue is the abnormal attachments people have to this GAME. Notice I said abnormal. If your life is so bad that you are OVERreacting to this, that suggests to me that this is probably your only outlet and that is not good. If you use Freeplay as fun and ONE way to escape, fine. But if you're spending huge amounts of time and are having extreme reactions, something isn't right. Just my opinion. Maybe this cycle of life and death can help people who are in the grieving process. One life ends and another begins with the legacy of the one who has passed.
I really think you need to stop being rude and judgemental of other sims players. You made the same unkind and judgemental statements on another thread. Please stop.
Spirited Away Ghost hunting house below swim center on the left side
HFN at Starter house #22
Check out the house next to the volcano. :D
Current Update
Perturbee
Administrator/Owner
Administrator/Owner

Post by Perturbee »

[Off topic:] I'm taking this post as an example of one of a couple of your posts. I decided to react in public, rather than warn in private, so everybody knows where I stand on this. (As well as clarifying the need for mutual respect in accordance with Rule 1).
hipmomx2 wrote:I do see your point but again, its just a game. Everyone complains about every single update and then it goes from complaining to whining and I find it rather silly. I apologize if I've offended anyone but I believe the majority of us are adults and our pouting days should be over. Grrrr...just frustrated. Can't make all the people happy all the time.
While this might be 'just' a game, many have invested a lot of hours (and money) in it. I personally find it rather harsh to criticise those, who do express their feelings about the game with a passion, as whining. Compared to what I've seen in other game forums, the expression of feelings about the game on this forum are very mild.

The game is a commercial product and those who have invested a lot (time or money) might feel upset about where EA/FM is taking the game. So far everything points towards an increasing greed from EA/FM. (Increasing in-game costs versus lower rewards). I'm sure you'd be upset when your coffee supplier suddenly increase the cost of your favourite coffee by 25% each 6 weeks. Perhaps you'd even complain about it to the manager and post your opinion on Facebook or the likes.

In another post you felt the need to suggest that something is wrong with those having a strong attachment with the game. What is normal or abnormal is in the eye of the beholder. (Keep in mind that for example homosexuality was officially considered an abnormality by the psychiatric community that made the DSM until 1986!) You could say the same about very passionate cat lovers, but that's a generally accepted concept.
This forum is not about the views of psychiatrists and their thoughts about 'abnormal' attachments, but about The Sims Freeplay, the game itself, the features and how to play it. If you feel the need to discuss the effects of games on mental health, I suggest you find an appropriate forum for it.

Many are adults here, true, but there are also quite a few minors here. Seeing the tone of your recent posts, it sounds like you're (almost passionately) disgruntled about something. I'd prefer that when you express your sentiments, you refrain from judging the expressions of others.

To summarize:
Treat everyone with the respect you'd like to be treated with.

[On topic:]
As stated in the video (with Amanda Schofield), the ageing process can be slowed down or even halted. Not surprisingly this comes at a cost of LPs as was shown in the video. (See also the screenshots from he video below).
To prevent ageing a teenager to an adult, you'll have to pay 8LPs.
To prevent ageing an adult to a senior, you'll have to pay 18LPs.
To prevent a senior from dying, you'll have to pay 10LPs.
Ageing examples
Ageing examples
While I don't agree or like this new way of moving through the life cycle (or preventing it), it was a logical progression of the updates so far as well as the idea of keeping SFP close to the gameplay of The Sims. They also laid the ground for how personalties work in the regular Sims and perhaps even planned for emotions as is going to be implemented in the Sims 4. At least it is an indication that EA/FM isn't going to end the Sims Freeplay updates cycles (and enhancements) any time soon.

I only hope that FM didn't screw up the timers for each stage (as they have done with the needs at some point).

Happy Simming!
blackbrit
Sim Adult
Sim Adult

Post by blackbrit »

Perturbee wrote:[Off topic:] I'm taking this post as an example of one of a couple of your posts. I decided to react in public, rather than warn in private, so everybody knows where I stand on this. (As well as clarifying the need for mutual respect in accordance with Rule 1).

<snip>
[On topic:]
As stated in the video (with Amanda Schofield), the ageing process can be slowed down or even halted. Not surprisingly this comes at a cost of LPs as was shown in the video. (See also the screenshots from he video below).
To prevent ageing a teenager to an adult, you'll have to pay 8LPs.
To prevent ageing an adult to a senior, you'll have to pay 18LPs.
To prevent a senior from dying, you'll have to pay 10LPs.
Preview_Ageing.png
While I don't agree or like this new way of moving through the life cycle (or preventing it), it was a logical progression of the updates so far as well as the idea of keeping SFP close to the gameplay of The Sims. They also laid the ground for how personalties work in the regular Sims and perhaps even planned for emotions as is going to be implemented in the Sims 4. At least it is an indication that EA/FM isn't going to end the Sims Freeplay updates cycles (and enhancements) any time soon.

I only hope that FM didn't screw up the timers for each stage (as they have done with the needs at some point).

Happy Simming!
Thanks for both Points A and B, Perturbee. I had missed the aging graphics, so found their inclusion particularly useful to visualizing SFP in the future. And, as a non-PC Simmer, your knowledge there also helps.

Happy Simming back at you!
L 55, Easter Update
HFN, #2 Firehouse RD.
Haunted House #20 West Side. Pre-built HH @ #1 Firehouse RD.
"C" for 74 cats, "R" for 80 reindeer; See map view
GC: blackbrit.1
For GC: Mention Hay Day or SFP
Dr.Hoo
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Post by Dr.Hoo »

I best get LP harvesting! I'll hold off updating until I have enough :o

Do we know how often they'll prompt us about the ageing up? And if you pay your LPs once, is that it? Or do you get reminders? Ooo so many questions! :?

I would've been prepared to pay a one off set amount to keep the "ageing-up" prompts at bay!
Ipad: Level 53 (seniors update)
Samsung Note: Level 55 (latest houses update)
fritzal
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Post by fritzal »

thanks Perturbee for your cool voice of reason.