Tips about weekly tasks

The tips and guides section.
General guides and tips only, quests have their own subsection!
Palmjill
Sim Adult
Sim Adult

Re: Tips about goals

Post by Palmjill »

Just finished the goal plant garlic between 8pm and 6am. Unlike before the goal does NOT complete on starting between those 2 times. Rather you need to finish planting between those 2 times. I actually started planting just after 12 noon and completed the goal just after 8 pm.
Not updated and Not playing! (please excuse zombies)
ErinPW

Post by ErinPW »

bloodcool wrote:For doing pirouette (9hr) at neighbor town, you can do it at either community center or neighbor house (although it says at community center)

However, for doing extensive pirouette (1 day) at own town, it must be at the community center as per what the goal mentioned.
Thanks for the Info! I've added this to the exceptions in my second post.
Handcrafted Homes Update, 5.83.1
iOS 17.4.1

HFN 3 Eastside includes cat and dog.
Haunted House 1 Museums Boulevard and Volcano View
Perturbee
Administrator/Owner
Administrator/Owner

Post by Perturbee »

There is one cheat that works for doing timed tasks (or jobs) at a time that is inconvenient for you.
Technically it is cheating, on the other hand, the only advantage is "flexible" start times. Nothing else is affected. I have not tested this on iOS, but I have no doubt it'll work.

Those of you who know my other forum posts, know I often mentioned Unix time being at the base of the game. This means that wherever in the world you are, Unix time is the same as everywhere else.
This is important to know, since it serves as the staring point for lots of things. The starting times or time frames of jobs, school and goals are in LOCAL TIME! This is ideal, because if you set your local time zone to the time zone of 9PM you can have your Firefighter start at just after Noon if you want to. Or do that "Watch TV at Midnight" task a little earlier.

Warning: NEVER change the time and especially not the date on your device. This changes Unix time and will mess up your game!

What you can do is adjust the time zone to suit your needs with a +6 or -6 hours away from your local time. If you try more, expect it NOT to work. So if you're on EST, your time frame is EST + 6 hours or EST - 6 hours.

Let's say I need to have a Sim catch a ghost between 10PM and 6am, but I'm unable to make that time. I can force the game to do the task in the following way:
- Force close (iOS) or exit (Android) the game
- In the settings of your device, change the time zone to where it's the time you need (9PM or later in the above example)
- Start the game again and it shows the time of your device in the new time zone, allowing you to start the task (or jobs or school).
- Exit the game or simply go to the settings again to change the time zone back.

It does NOT finish any tasks that are in progress, nor does it change the time it takes for a task! But the ability to shift starting times is quite useful.

Remember: Time Zone adjustments only, DO NOT TOUCH TIME ITSELF! :!: :!: :!:
sophiemarie1
Newborn Sim
Newborn Sim

Post by sophiemarie1 »

I have got to the teenage goals and I've got to look inconspicuous on a park bench. I've gone to a park and done this several times and my goal isn't completing. Anyone know why? Thanks :)
Delphine
Sim Elder
Sim Elder

Post by Delphine »

Havé you gone with à teen ?
FB : Catalina Delphine (look for the squirrel ;) )
GC : DelphOrka
Updated, everything built but the volcano
(Please, don't look at my mistakes in English, my French iPad always puts capital letters and accents everywhere)
enkeli63
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Post by enkeli63 »

Today I had a goal to Grill 'Em All on a BBQ, and that task should take 6 and ½ hours on the free BBQ, but when the time was up, the task didn't complete even though the timer said 0 seconds remaining. I thought it was glitched, so I paid LP to complete the task and move on, but apparently there is something wrong with the timer on that task and it actually takes longer to complete than the timer suggests. It was suggested that it may take longer if the sim is standing to eat rather than sitting at an outdoor table, and that the task actually takes around 8 hours or so? Anyhow, next time it comes up for me, I'll be patient and see how long it actually takes to complete this goal! If anyone else runs into this goal before I get it again, it would be great if you could post your experience with it and let us know: how long does it take and did your sim have an outdoor table to sit at, or were they standing?

Thanks so much for this thread! It's really great to have such helpful information for some of the tricky/confusing goals :D
Facebook: Enkeli Hawk
#1 & #2 Firehouse Road: Haunted House & Neighbors' House
#3 Firehouse Road: Performance Park with 3 Star instruments for teens & activities for all ages
#2 Museum Boulevard has dog with Frisbee
Palmjill
Sim Adult
Sim Adult

Post by Palmjill »

enkeli63 wrote:Today I had a goal to Grill 'Em All on a BBQ, and that task should take 6 and ½ hours on the free BBQ, but when the time was up, the task didn't complete even though the timer said 0 seconds remaining. I thought it was glitched, so I paid LP to complete the task and move on, but apparently there is something wrong with the timer on that task and it actually takes longer to complete than the timer suggests. It was suggested that it may take longer if the sim is standing to eat rather than sitting at an outdoor table, and that the task actually takes around 8 hours or so? Anyhow, next time it comes up for me, I'll be patient and see how long it actually takes to complete this goal! If anyone else runs into this goal before I get it again, it would be great if you could post your experience with it and let us know: how long does it take and did your sim have an outdoor table to sit at, or were they standing?

Thanks so much for this thread! It's really great to have such helpful information for some of the tricky/confusing goals :D
I just did this goal yesterday and as far as I know it took 6 and half hours to do. There was an outdoor table nearby but I did not notice whether she was standing or sitting - sorry! Sometimes when actions fail to complete despite running down to zero, it helps by loading the town view or another house and going back to the sim. I have come across this problem for other tasks before, not often thankfully.
Not updated and Not playing! (please excuse zombies)
enkeli63
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Post by enkeli63 »

Palmjill wrote:I just did this goal yesterday and as far as I know it took 6 and half hours to do. There was an outdoor table nearby but I did not notice whether she was standing or sitting - sorry! Sometimes when actions fail to complete despite running down to zero, it helps by loading the town view or another house and going back to the sim. I have come across this problem for other tasks before, not often thankfully.
Thanks for sharing your experience with that goal! When my sim got stuck on that one, I went to neighborhood view, played other sims for a few minutes, and then even restarted the game. Nothing fixed it other than skipping with LP. However, he was standing, so perhaps it would have finished in the proper time if he'd been sitting at a table? Or it was just glitched--I guess I wont know unless it happens again :P
Facebook: Enkeli Hawk
#1 & #2 Firehouse Road: Haunted House & Neighbors' House
#3 Firehouse Road: Performance Park with 3 Star instruments for teens & activities for all ages
#2 Museum Boulevard has dog with Frisbee
ErinPW

Post by ErinPW »

enkeli63 wrote:
Palmjill wrote:I just did this goal yesterday and as far as I know it took 6 and half hours to do. There was an outdoor table nearby but I did not notice whether she was standing or sitting - sorry! Sometimes when actions fail to complete despite running down to zero, it helps by loading the town view or another house and going back to the sim. I have come across this problem for other tasks before, not often thankfully.
Thanks for sharing your experience with that goal! When my sim got stuck on that one, I went to neighborhood view, played other sims for a few minutes, and then even restarted the game. Nothing fixed it other than skipping with LP. However, he was standing, so perhaps it would have finished in the proper time if he'd been sitting at a table? Or it was just glitched--I guess I wont know unless it happens again :P
Some time ago this happened with the smoked pork, but since our sim is standing in front of the BBQ most of the time, I didn't check. Today I have checked the grill 'em all without goal.
My sims use the next chair and table, no matter whether its in- or outside (possibly they don't use it, if its too far away) The BBQs are 2-star items, the time starts with 6.30 hours, the time my sim was standing in front of the BBQ was less than a minute.

Start without furniture
- time at BBQ shows 6.30 hours - standing while eating -> time changed to 8 hours

Using a 1-star chair
- time at BBQ shows 6.30 hours - sitting while eating -> time changed to 8 hours

Using a 2-star chair
- time at BBQ shows 6.30 hours - sitting while eating -> same time like the BBQ, 6.30 hours

Using a 3-star chair
- time at BBQ shows 6.30 hours - sitting while eating -> time changed to 5 hours

So the game does not get the mix up of 1-, 2- and three star items for this goal. At least with having a 2-star chair at a table near the BBQ the goal should complete as aspected.
Attachments
Sitting on a 3-star chair while eating
Sitting on a 3-star chair while eating
5hours eating
5hours eating
Handcrafted Homes Update, 5.83.1
iOS 17.4.1

HFN 3 Eastside includes cat and dog.
Haunted House 1 Museums Boulevard and Volcano View
Hufflepuff Karen
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Post by Hufflepuff Karen »

ErinPW wrote:
enkeli63 wrote:
Some time ago this happened with the smoked pork, but since our sim is standing in front of the BBQ most of the time, I didn't check. Today I have checked the grill 'em all without goal.
My sims use the next chair and table, no matter whether its in- or outside (possibly they don't use it, if its too far away) The BBQs are 2-star items, the time starts with 6.30 hours, the time my sim was standing in front of the BBQ was less than a minute.

Start without furniture
- time at BBQ shows 6.30 hours - standing while eating -> time changed to 8 hours

Using a 1-star chair
- time at BBQ shows 6.30 hours - sitting while eating -> time changed to 8 hours

Using a 2-star chair
- time at BBQ shows 6.30 hours - sitting while eating -> same time like the BBQ, 6.30 hours

Using a 3-star chair
- time at BBQ shows 6.30 hours - sitting while eating -> time changed to 5 hours

So the game does not get the mix up of 1-, 2- and three star items for this goal. At least with having a 2-star chair at a table near the BBQ the goal should complete as aspected.
Oh I am going to remember this the next time I have to BBQ a long time! All of my Sims have the picnic table and they usually sit there. Will have to try it at the house that has the really nice patio furniture and see if it shortens the time. 90 minutes is a huge difference when you are trying to complete goals!
I think, therefore, I Sim! (Or I did before they told me to "harvest" them)
HFN at Starter House (22 West Side); Pools& pets at several homes
Ghost hunting 2 Museum Blvd
GC: Hufflepuff Karen
TV $330,648,445 on 03/12/2014; Lvl 48