The Homeless Challenge

Participate, organise or follow the challenges made up by players for players!
Minima
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Re: The Homeless Challenge

Post by Minima »

Sounds interesting but my Sim, Louisa (a good athlete but fallen on hard times since the euphoria and the cash ran out post Olympics) is nowhere near that level of cash yet. She's finding skating a lot harder than it looks. :(
Loving this challenge!
Distinctly unimpressed with EA.
Actively playing my old game for as long as I can.
katgames
Sim Elder
Sim Elder

Post by katgames »

Saving the initial list... Just too uh..treading water with current challenges and life but this is intriguing. Pertubee you are a puzzle/challenge/maze genius. *applauding*
:geek:
HFN: #1 West Oceanside near Campgrounds
HH: Next to Fire Station
Still no police station in mah town :roll:
Hufflepuff Karen
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Post by Hufflepuff Karen »

It's actually kind of fun, especially if you like to create back stories about the challenge. So far, Rolanda has been doing OK, her social and fun motives suffer the most. There are only 3 people in the whole town that she is not already good friends with, so we don't get any points for making good friends. And limiting her to one social contact a day and no phone, I have to work around the scenario where she can legitimately interact with somebody.

Today she is in the park, selling all of her wood carvings at the annual community craft sale. The park is very busy today, people doing tai chi, fishing, playing with the boats, feeding the ducks and the firefighters are having a chili cookoff and BBQ competition (I fit that in because one of my key goals is the pulled pork and it takes 20 hours in the park!). Since she has to be in the park all day anyway, I am working on a story about what happens after she sells all her goods... ;)

There is a thread about the Homeless Sims Stories (I apologize, I don't know how to link threads yet), so far I think only two of us are actually publishing stories, but I see a lot of people are reading them, so that makes me try harder to be creative while I figure this challenge out - that's the part I like best about the Sims overall and with Perturbee's forum, I really enjoy having all of my little Sims with a unique story of their own and getting to share it. Must have been a frustrated soap opera script writer in a past life? Although I could never bring myself to torture my Sims in the regular Sims games - I don't have it in me to starve them or drown them in I the pool or neglect the kids so that CPS takes them away! :shock:
I think, therefore, I Sim! (Or I did before they told me to "harvest" them)
HFN at Starter House (22 West Side); Pools& pets at several homes
Ghost hunting 2 Museum Blvd
GC: Hufflepuff Karen
TV $330,648,445 on 03/12/2014; Lvl 48
Lishws720
Sim Teen
Sim Teen

Post by Lishws720 »

Karen, does Rolanda have a pet? Because that is how Eliana keeps up her social needs, she hugs her cat, ShaSha. Also, the BBQ at the Snow Park does pulled pork in 17 hours. I can meet all of the rest of my needs at the Snow Park, except for making money at the Community Center by woodworking. 250 a day for the privilege to use both of those facilities seems very reasonable to Eliana.
AliciaWS720 on Game Center: §418 mil town value, VIP 10, level 55. Started as a new game during the DIY update. Special thanks to all of you very creative people on this forum for inspiration in designing houses!

My game is fully updated on iOS.
Hufflepuff Karen
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

I forgot about pets filling social needs - thank you for the reminder! Rolanda doesn't have a pet, although I am sure a local stray cat may find his / her way there, attracted by the vermin in the condemned house? :) I know the snow park BBQ is faster, but I need the park in the story line today, so I started it there. I might use LP to finish it after 10 hours goes by - haven't decided yet!

Rolanda also feels the $250 per day to use the CC and the Snow Park is working well - especially since she had such a productive day / evening yesterday at the CC and worked late into the night. If she sells everything she made since Thursday, she'll have enough to get her permit, and make a dent in the fines that have accumulated so far. Then she just has to save up enough to put the roof on the house and paint it. She needs $1,000 for the permit, $2,100 for the fines (plus another $100 per day until they grant the permit), and then another $3,000 to paint, re-roof and fix up the demolished interior. Trying to tie everything out to the $10,000 goal, between usage fees for the community lots and getting everything she needs for her house. I don't think we're going to get the "dating" points - she's a retiree and I don't have a guy her age. I'm really limited on number of Sims and I really want another toddler so Oliver and Alicia have a little one. I've seriously been considering adopting a pre-teen for Aberforth and Rosmerta and a teen for Amos - just because I want more Sims, but I don't want to spend 100 LP to get them ahead of time. My mother in law gave me an app card for my birthday (6 months late!) so I have $15 to spend on the game if I want to. Two adoptions would be $10 and then I'd have $5 left to buy some Simoleons, LP or SP. But adopting would give me a couple of strangers for Rolanda to befriend, so that would give us some friend points. But adopting means delaying my new baby until I level up some more and that is so darn slow!!!
SIMazing
Sim Elder
Sim Elder

Post by SIMazing »

I'm sorry I haven't been posting in my story. (And I needed the reminder about one social interaction per day. :oops: ) I have been worried about my family in the Philippines. I only heard back from the last one this morning, to know for sure that none of my fam is homeless due to the horrific storm. I'm going to take the weekend off, and then pick up where I left off. And to make up for the extra interactions, my sim won't have any for the number of my error. :oops:
HFN 1: Starter House with haunted upstairs, 1 firepole: (22 West Side)
HFN 2 -Clue House with 4 firepoles: on island behind Tempest of Bliss (3 Bliss Drive)
Hufflepuff Karen
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Oh SIMazing, I hope your family is OK. I didn't know they were in the Phillipines. Having been through some horrific hurricanes here in South Florida, (Andrew, Katrina, Wilma), I've been watching this monster in the Pacific - makes Andrew look like a baby and it took us almost 6 years to recover in the Cutler Ridge area (my boss had an office building down there). So many people lost their homes - some of them just gave up and moved farther north.

Will keep good thoughts and send a little prayer winging your way and hope that all will be well with your loved ones.
SIMazing
Sim Elder
Sim Elder

Post by SIMazing »

Hufflepuff Karen wrote:Oh SIMazing, I hope your family is OK. I didn't know they were in the Phillipines. Having been through some horrific hurricanes here in South Florida, (Andrew, Katrina, Wilma), I've been watching this monster in the Pacific - makes Andrew look like a baby and it took us almost 6 years to recover in the Cutler Ridge area (my boss had an office building down there). So many people lost their homes - some of them just gave up and moved farther north.

Will keep good thoughts and send a little prayer winging your way and hope that all will be well with your loved ones.
Thank you Hufflepuff Karen!
My family (actually my husband's relatives) are doing alright. They ended up on the edge of the storm and only had to deal with heavy rain and light (in comparison) winds. Some of them will have to face some financial hardship as their businesses were in the storm's path. But other than that, they are safe. I had the pleasure of visiting various parts of the country less than a year ago. I have seen some of the places that were hit or are no longer. I can barely watch the news, seeing a beautiful people's nation ripped apart. I do not know how people get through this outside of prayer and help from others. You are a brave person in my eyes. Knowing that you have gone through this kind of devastation, and keep going, makes it a little easier. Thank you for your comforting words. :)

Back on topic...
November is homeless awareness month where I live (not sure if this is the case elsewhere). I'm eager to get back to my storyline, and help my homeless sim start a new life. And I'm eager to read other people's stories too. :)
HFN 1: Starter House with haunted upstairs, 1 firepole: (22 West Side)
HFN 2 -Clue House with 4 firepoles: on island behind Tempest of Bliss (3 Bliss Drive)
babhiemiao29
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Post by babhiemiao29 »

SIMazing wrote: (snip)
Thank you Hufflepuff Karen!
My family (actually my husband's relatives) are doing alright. They ended up on the edge of the storm and only had to deal with heavy rain and light (in comparison) winds. Some of them will have to face some financial hardship as their businesses were in the storm's path. But other than that, they are safe. I had the pleasure of visiting various parts of the country less than a year ago. I have seen some of the places that were hit or are no longer. I can barely watch the news, seeing a beautiful people's nation ripped apart. I do not know how people get through this outside of prayer and help from others. You are a brave person in my eyes. Knowing that you have gone through this kind of devastation, and keep going, makes it a little easier. Thank you for your comforting words. :)
Its a good thing that your husband's relatives are in a safe place. Currently, our company is pooling donations to help those people who were hit by the storm (I'm located in the Philippines). We just need more faith and prayers that the people who were directly affected dont lose hope.

Kinda makes one value the homeless sim challenge with respect.

TV: 11,307,969
HFN, cat paradise, pet central : In-progress
Reindeer park: #3 East Side beside the Real State Company
HH: #21 West side just beside the starter house

I HAVE NOT UPDATED~!!
Hufflepuff Karen
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

SIMazing wrote:Thank you Hufflepuff Karen!
So glad to hear everyone is all right. As long as they are safe, the rest just takes time... Homes and businesses can be rebuilt - it's not easy, but if they are all OK, that is the most important thing - rebuilding can be overwhelming, but a lot of people are going to be pitching in to help, from all over. I am always amazed at how people come through when it really counts, no matter what differences they may have otherwise, under normal circumstances. Wish it didn't take a disaster or a tragedy to bring out the best of humanity - we should be good to each other every day.