Definition of "temporary" (as in "temporarily offline"

All the Sims Freeplay discussions can be held here.
EileenK98
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Definition of "temporary" (as in "temporarily offline"

Post by EileenK98 »

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... =temporary
A word which, when used by either IT, Telecommunications, Management or Marketing staff tends to mean "a job done poorly due to lack of planning or skill, that will remain in place for all eternity"
Thought this was amusing. Good thing we have this place, cause it doesn't look like the official forums will be up any time soon. (And by "soon" I mean "before Christmas--2014") :lol:
New town, new Sims!

Haunted House: 2 East Oceanside
Library: 1 Museum Boulevard
Spa: 2 Museum Boulevard
The Winchesters' Bunker: 3 Eastside
Lucyvp867
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Re: Definition of "temporary" (as in "temporarily offline"

Post by Lucyvp867 »

EileenK98 wrote:http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... =temporary
A word which, when used by either IT, Telecommunications, Management or Marketing staff tends to mean "a job done poorly due to lack of planning or skill, that will remain in place for all eternity"
Thought this was amusing. Good thing we have this place, cause it doesn't look like the official forums will be up any time soon. (And by "soon" I mean "before Christmas--2014") :lol:
LOL :lol:

Is this similar to a doctor/nurse saying "this will only sting a little bit...." or "this will only hurt for a second...."? If you ever are told either of those things? RUN!!

I still have the link to the old place and keep accidentally going there when I mean to go here. I always think "shouldn't temporary be changed to forever?"
HordePrime
Sim Adult
Sim Adult

Post by HordePrime »

I'm not really surprised though, considering how much hostility the developers got on there. It's the same on Facebook.

I actually feel sorry for Firemonkeys in a way. People forget that it is a free game - we should be grateful it exists at all!
(And before anyone moans that it's not really free, that's rubbish. It's free if you want it to be free. You can play the game just as well without spending a penny. Yes, they try to get you to spend money, just like all businesses, but whether or not you do so is entirely your own choice).

Also, a lot of the criticism is because the player doesn't understand how the game works (it requires patience. If you want instant gratification, go play a shoot 'em up or something), or it's their own fault anyway for ignoring common sense (like not saving your game before you do an update).

I'm not saying it's perfect, but the kind of vehement abuse they were getting from some people was completely uncalled for. It wasn't a very pleasant environment really. If I were them, I probably would have shut the forum down too.
Lucyvp867
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Post by Lucyvp867 »

I think I have legitimate reason for complaining.

I was double billed for the teen pack, 48 hours later? They still haven't assigned my support ticket to anybody. I can't get a refund through iTunes because it's been changed. If you get a refund? Then you will no longer receive updates "for this game".

I still love the game but I hate their customer service and will not be spending anymore money on it. I would never hurl abuse at them though, that's childish and uncalled for, I just let my feelings be known through reviews/ratings/and with holding my money.

As you say, it is a free game and as long as you play it for free? Then don't complain.
HordePrime
Sim Adult
Sim Adult

Post by HordePrime »

Lucyvp867 wrote:I think I have legitimate reason for complaining.
Oh yes, I wasn't talking about you specifically, just people in general.
Of course some people do have legitimate complaints (as in your case).
nogard0
Sim Teen
Sim Teen
Location: alexandria, va, usa, earth, solar system, milky way galaxy, universe, dimension (name)???

Post by nogard0 »

i think itunes refund and update really refer to a game bought trough itunes (i.e., iap) i cant see that a game that is gotten and updated outside itunes can be stopped by itunes. and purchasing an external pack ??? refunding one of a double charge is not undoing purchasing the game. so the game should still be active !!!

if the charge was done through,your credit card you can get a refund of the double from the credit card.
Perturbee
Administrator/Owner
Administrator/Owner

Post by Perturbee »

HordePrime wrote:I'm not really surprised though, considering how much hostility the developers got on there. It's the same on Facebook.

I actually feel sorry for Firemonkeys in a way. People forget that it is a free game - we should be grateful it exists at all!
--->8 snip 8<---
I think a lot of criticism is absolutely founded. Just because it's free, it doesn't mean it has to be filled with bugs or delivered without any testing (think of the Android time-bug in Neighbours), nor do we have to accept this poor quality from ANY developer. We don't have to be grateful at all, EA has licensed it's sub-company FM to publish SFP and earns millions with it. EA's substandard publishing is getting very famous nowadays. For example: Sims 3 had some serious bugs, SimCity was unplayable due to server issues, they decided to pull that "be online or don't play" part out of the Sims 4 to avoid a SimCity disaster. EA is known to be a very bad company, they even received the golden turd for it!

I remember the days of Freeware and Shareware which was available on BBSes. Freeware and Shareware were absolutely nothing like the way "free" software is published now.
The standards of "quality" have dropped significant compared to a decade ago.
A good example of currently Free software is Linux as an operating system and Open Office (now Libre Office). I haven't had any need for Microsoft's Office for decades now. (I grew up with WordStar and Word Perfect before Windblows).

To make it a real world example, if your employer would have a free commuting service with buses and suddenly the bus arrives an hour late every day because it breaks down every 3 miles, causing your manager to curse at you. Would you still be accepting the quality of this "free" service? No. Why then with software?

I do agree that ignorance is part of the problem FM has to deal with, but that's a far wider spread problem. Common sense is no longer common and it seems easier to ask than to think for oneself. This has led me to closing the comments section throughout my blog. I was getting fed-up with stoopid questions like "How do I catch Zzs on a couch?". People like that should play something they do understand.

Last but not least, some fans deem it necessary to attack and threaten developers. This rising tendency has caused some game developers to quit their jobs and seek a different (and safer) employment. Read this: http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/15/462225 ... ort-groups
animagif
Sim Teen
Sim Teen

Post by animagif »

I agree with Perturbee about the asking without thinking. If you really have to ask, ask google first. Chances are someone have already asked the same question and the answer is available somewhere online. Don't be lazy. IMO SFP is not a game for lazy people.
bazlit on Game Center (not updated to simpocalypse)
HFN at starter house. Ghost hunting at 1 Museum Blvd.
Hufflepuff Karen
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Post by Hufflepuff Karen »

I think what folks need to remember is that ignorance is not the same as stupidity.

I've asked a couple of relatively simple questions out of ignorance, and I see others asking, too.

If you are used to playing regular Sims, you are used to having your Sims interact with objects - having a birthday is one. In Sims you have to click on the birthday cake and it has to be in the house where you are having the party.

Here, anybody can make the cake, you can't set it on it the counter and click on it - you have to click on the kid you want to age.

With tai chi in the park, I looked all over the parks of my neighbors, built my own park, checked the shop each time I leveled up, thinking I needed to buy gear to do tai chi. There were no objects to click on to start the task. I had no idea that any sims could be standing in any park and you had to click on the sim, rather than an object.

I tried the search feature in this forum when I first was trying and tai chi did not come up. Sometimes I use search and it says the key words are too common and it won't search. That's when I asked the question and got the answer. Now I see others asking the same question, and people are linking to that thread to answer them. But when I put "tai chi" in the search I don't get anything. So is the search feature not working or it's too limiting when people put in search terms? Or we're not putting in th right sequence of key words?

I try to use the search, but if I get no results, then I ask the question. It never occurred to me to go off forum and google it, even though I google just about everything! Will have to remember google is not just for work! :)
I think, therefore, I Sim! (Or I did before they told me to "harvest" them)
HFN at Starter House (22 West Side); Pools& pets at several homes
Ghost hunting 2 Museum Blvd
GC: Hufflepuff Karen
TV $330,648,445 on 03/12/2014; Lvl 48
Perturbee
Administrator/Owner
Administrator/Owner

Post by Perturbee »

I get the impression my remark about ignorance is misunderstood.

It's the obvious questions that don't need asking that bugs me. "How do I make a hot meal in a microwave", "How do I catch Zzs on a couch", "How do I go for a dive" (while the goal actually says dRive). The old support site on GetSatisfaction is filled with these! Those are the things that can be found easily by trying.