Do you plan your Sims names before creating your Sims?

All the Sims Freeplay discussions can be held here.
Lishws720
Sim Teen
Sim Teen

Do you plan your Sims names before creating your Sims?

Post by Lishws720 »

I'm curious about how people go about naming their Sims. Do you plan out the names, use the randomly generated name (all or part), or think up a name spontaneously?

I'm a complete planner. I make a list of first and last names and try not to repeat the first letters of the names within genders (no Anna and Abigail in the same town, but maybe Arianne and Andrew). I also don't like to use the same beginning letter for more than one surname (but of course, there may be several family members with the same last name), so you won't find the Taylor family in the same town as the Thompson family in my world.

So, are you a spontaneous Simmer, or a planning Simmer?
AliciaWS720 on Game Center: §418 mil town value, VIP 10, level 55. Started as a new game during the DIY update. Special thanks to all of you very creative people on this forum for inspiration in designing houses!

My game is fully updated on iOS.
Hufflepuff Karen
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Re: Do you plan your Sims names before creating your Sims?

Post by Hufflepuff Karen »

I use Harry Potter character names, but not the main Characters. And their ages are kind of messed up, because I have Professor (Aurora) Sinastra being romanced by Oliver Wood and Seamus Finnegan.

Oliver got messed up when Charlie Weasley's wife accidentally asked him to move in instead of hugging him. So now I have to name my next Sim with the last name of Wood and ask Oliver to move in so he can get his name back. Guess Oliver will have to have a sister or an expendable Sim that has the name and gets deleted. Or I can have them get married as long as she asks him and he moves in with her - he'll have to dump Aurora.

Charlie's 2 kids are named after his parents, Arthur and Molly.

In my regular Sims, Sims2 and Sims3 games, over the years, I had a combination of real life family members and friends, along with fictional people from books I like or liked when I was a kid. So I had Dirk Pitt, Travis McGee, Kinsey Milhone, Stephanie Plum, Joe Morelli, Amelia Peabody, Radcliffe & Walter Emerson, Nancy Drew, Frank & Joe Hardy, and the Bobbsey family. And that definitely dates me!

I remember being excited when we got cars for Sims2 because I finally got to build Dirk's house with a garage warehouse and all kinds of cars in it, (plus a bathtub) and the upper floor was his loft. All I was missing was a boat and an airplane, but they never made those available. Would have liked to be able to add those, plus modify the cars so they could be antiques and not just modern cars. Kinsey had a tiny garage loft in the back of her landlord's lot and I tried to build it to the specs in one of the books when it was rebuilt after a fire.
I think, therefore, I Sim! (Or I did before they told me to "harvest" them)
HFN at Starter House (22 West Side); Pools& pets at several homes
Ghost hunting 2 Museum Blvd
GC: Hufflepuff Karen
TV $330,648,445 on 03/12/2014; Lvl 48
telemwill
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Post by telemwill »

I have done a variety of things. I have some named after Harry Potter characters and some named after the Munsters from TV. One is named after my father. One is a name I had hoped to use for a baby girl, but a television character made it too popular and ruined it for me in real life. One is a boy's name that I liked and didn't have enough children to use it on. One of my Dads and one of my preteens have a randomly generated name because I made them before I knew the work around for the naming glitch. I can no longer remember what I intended to call them in the first place. Paul and Pamela seem to suit them now. Lily Munster and Lily Potter are both in my town, so there are two with the same first name, but very different characters. I want to add Sam Dracula and, maybe, Trixie Belden so ZeeGee's Honey and Brian can come and visit.
HFN at #11 West Side. Haunted House at #1 East Side. Three star instruments at #3 East Side.
Hufflepuff Karen
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Post by Hufflepuff Karen »

Oh, the Munsters! I have to visit them! :) I met Al Lewis (grandpa) when I was a kid visiting Universal Studios in California. Also met some of the cast from Mchale's Navy and saw Fred Gwynne and Yvonne de Carlo heading across the lot, but I couldn't run fast enough to catch up to them (I was 10).

I wonder, does anybody have an Addams Family, too?

That's the only limiting thing I miss on SFP that you can do on regular Sims - the full Create a Sim has a lot more options for body type, hairstyle, etc. than the SFP version has.

I have visit a neighbor tomorrow morning to listen to their radio, maybe I'll pop in on your Munsters :)
I think, therefore, I Sim! (Or I did before they told me to "harvest" them)
HFN at Starter House (22 West Side); Pools& pets at several homes
Ghost hunting 2 Museum Blvd
GC: Hufflepuff Karen
TV $330,648,445 on 03/12/2014; Lvl 48
Palmjill
Sim Adult
Sim Adult

Post by Palmjill »

I'm spontaneous most of the time. I happened to be playing ice age village when I first started SFP so my first married couple is Manny and Peaches Jackson (forgot Manny the mammoth wife's name but remembered the daughter's lol). Most of the rest are random and that is why I have 2 Gils in my town cos I forgot I had used the name before. I put more thought in picking the kids names (that I liked) and even more for the dog-cat pairings.

Hence Sid and Diego (ice age again), Calvin and Hobbes, Oscar and Felix (the odd couple), Edward and Bella, Toby (short for Toblerone) and Kitkat, Goldie and Misty. Of course my 2 firemen have a Dalmatian named Spot and there's a Stripes the cat in my Scandinavian House.
Not updated and Not playing! (please excuse zombies)
bloodcool
Sim Elder
Sim Elder

Post by bloodcool »

No, I just let the game generate until I find a name is interesting...
animagif
Sim Teen
Sim Teen

Post by animagif »

I name my sims on the fly although there is a Japanese couple in my town; the Toriyamas (after Akira Toriyama) who are dressed in white. I also name 9 of my toddlers according to Latin ordinal numbering starting with my first toddler Secundus (because he's the second child, his older brother's name isn't in Latin). Then comes Tertius, Quartus, Quintus so on and so forth.
bazlit on Game Center (not updated to simpocalypse)
HFN at starter house. Ghost hunting at 1 Museum Blvd.
Perturbee
Administrator/Owner
Administrator/Owner

Post by Perturbee »

My main town is a mix, some names kind of default with a custom first name, some names made up like Captain Crazy, Baddy Darkly and such.

My second town has mostly names of things that interest me. You can find Wizzard Rincewind with TwoFlower InnSewerAn(ts), Dr. Who and Martha Jones, Gyro Gearloose, the bridge crew of USS Voyager (Star Trek), Black Adder (yes, I know he's called Edmund) and Sod-ov Baldrick, the Ni family, a German diver: Tina Punzel, two Canadian Skaters: Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, a team of three fashion designers (from 1892!) of Hirsch & Cie, two huge families: the Norse family (18) with names of Norse mythology and the Hellenic family (20) with names of Greek mythology and there are several others with odd names like Kaching Motherlode and Ummm eh Dunno...

My remaining test towns have custom first names and mostly standard last names.
annabacon
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Post by annabacon »

Absolutely! Each "family" has a theme.

Heart family (King, Queen and their son Jack)
* lives in a heart-shaped, red/black house.
Diamond family (King, Queen and their daughter Ace)
* lives in a diamond-shaped, blue/white house.
** the families are old enemies but Jack and Ace have grown to surpass their ancestors' petty jealousy and have come to fall in love with each other...secretly.

Wood family (Maple, Cedar, Willow and Ash)
* master wood workers and lives in a tree-shaped house surrounded by pine trees.

Tron family (Alpha, Beta, Delta, Gamma, Epsilon and Omega)
* cyborgs living in a modified space ship.

Tea family (Chamomile, Sencha, Oolong and Chai)
* four sisters who enjoy a good book and the art of bonsai gardening in their shared Japanese retreat.

Artist series (in works)
Pablo Picasso
Marcel Duchamp
Andy Warhol (planned)
Frida Kahlo (planned)
Marina Abramovic (planned)

I just started building a house boat so I may have to start a nautical theme soon... maybe Robison Crusoe?
animagif
Sim Teen
Sim Teen

Post by animagif »

Ummm eh Dunno. I like that. Has a nice amnesiac vibe to it.
bazlit on Game Center (not updated to simpocalypse)
HFN at starter house. Ghost hunting at 1 Museum Blvd.