Questions about Employment

All the Sims Freeplay discussions can be held here.
Hufflepuff Karen
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Re: Questions about Employment

Post by Hufflepuff Karen »

All of my sims work, because it keeps them busy while I am at work myself. I have 3 firefighters who work nights, so I get to play with them on my lunch break, also my 2 athletes, because they are home by noon. I am awake at 5:30 am every day, so I set them all up to keep them busy until I get to work at 7:30, then the athletes go to work.

At about 9:30 I take a coffee break except I don't drink coffee so I grab a soda and send the 2 teachers, 2 scientists and 2 brokers to work. At lunch time my school kids go to school and my 2 politicians go to work. I have 1 artist and 1 rock star so they go off to work at the end of the day. They're the only ones who "waste" time, because they come home in the middle of the night and don't do anything between about 2 am and 5 am, when I can get them busy.

When they are not at work, they are gardening - I stagger the gardening so that I have 1, 2 and 4 hour crops all day and then at night everybody that is home is planting garlic for XP (8 hours) and beans for Simoleons (9 hours). By the time I wake up, the garlic is done and the beans are done before I leave for work, so I can start them on something or send them to work before I head out for my 90 minute commute.

On weekends, they work on their hobbies, work on goals and do fun stuff like movies. My toddler does as many long term things as she can - the 2 and 3 hour things with her toys. The teen and pre-teen study, cram, do research or read the encyclopedia to stay busy.
I think, therefore, I Sim! (Or I did before they told me to "harvest" them)
HFN at Starter House (22 West Side); Pools& pets at several homes
Ghost hunting 2 Museum Blvd
GC: Hufflepuff Karen
TV $330,648,445 on 03/12/2014; Lvl 48
katgames
Sim Elder
Sim Elder

Post by katgames »

I like the money and low maintenance of sending them to work. Not everybody works,but it occupies them. The others plant to do hobbies. I do the competitions. 3 LP is good to me... It keeps them busy. I can't play all the time I have to have them busy. If I could sent several to 24 hour competitions that'd be fine with me. Just keep those Sims busy! It's a full time job.
:geek:
HFN: #1 West Oceanside near Campgrounds
HH: Next to Fire Station
Still no police station in mah town :roll:
Desiree
Sim Adult
Sim Adult

Post by Desiree »

To keep the toddlers busy the Teddy Bear is great as it has a 12 hour option. Which is great because for some weird reason the toddlers have the shortest sleep options. The Teddy Bear is very expensive, its 20LP! But I found it worth it to save up and finally purchased one for each of my 4 Toddlers.

I had a few of my Sims get to fairly high levels in their careers before I realized how great fashion design was for a career :-). I keep them there because occasionally a goal will come up that a sim needs to get to a certain level at a job. Otherwise they are unemployed, or technically at whatever job they got due to a goal.

I have two adult sims who I use as teens in a family ( I had them before the teen update ) . They don't do fashion design but do the various goals. That's their job.
2 Divers Way HFN - haunted theme

3 Bliss Drive

please message me if items missing/ blocked

DesireeVSanchez on GC - please mention SFP forum.
---Whatever the current update is
GlendaTheMostGood on Google Play
---Holiday 2016 Update---stuck in time
enkeli63
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Post by enkeli63 »

HordePrime wrote:
enkeli63 wrote:...and then just focus on earning §§§§ for some of the pre-built houses that I'd like to plop down and redesign, except I think only one of them is requiring §§§ to build. Most of them need LP...
You might already know this, but make sure you build the §§§ one first as the price of those increase with every new house you get. The LP ones on the other hand stay the same.
enkeli63 wrote:I suppose if my husband changes work shifts, I could finally get a sim into the athletic career, but otherwise I will have to skip that one.
I was in a similar situation, but I actually got my Athlete all the way up to the highest level just by having him play Soccer - he never actually went to work once! Of course, this was when the promotion items used to take 1 hour instead of 3. - I might not be bothered to do it now.
Yeah, I am going to buy the §§§ one before the LP ones, but I appreciate you sharing the tip! There's always a possibility I'd be tempted to get the LP house first because I'm earning those fairly easy right now, and money is a slow process :roll: So that helps me to stay the course.

I think the tip about using the soccer ball is great! If I get a sim in the athletic career, he or she could use the soccer ball until the better work hours are unlocked through the promotions! 3 hours is a stretch, but my sims can do that while I'm playing a PC game for a few hours! Thanks for that tip too :D
Facebook: Enkeli Hawk
#1 & #2 Firehouse Road: Haunted House & Neighbors' House
#3 Firehouse Road: Performance Park with 3 Star instruments for teens & activities for all ages
#2 Museum Boulevard has dog with Frisbee
enkeli63
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Post by enkeli63 »

Desiree wrote:To keep the toddlers busy the Teddy Bear is great as it has a 12 hour option. Which is great because for some weird reason the toddlers have the shortest sleep options. The Teddy Bear is very expensive, its 20LP! But I found it worth it to save up and finally purchased one for each of my 4 Toddlers.

I had a few of my Sims get to fairly high levels in their careers before I realized how great fashion design was for a career :-). I keep them there because occasionally a goal will come up that a sim needs to get to a certain level at a job. Otherwise they are unemployed, or technically at whatever job they got due to a goal.

I have two adult sims who I use as teens in a family ( I had them before the teen update ) . They don't do fashion design but do the various goals. That's their job.
That's great about the teddy bear! I didn't know that, but one of my couple is expecting a baby later today, and I'm already preparing the birthday cake to age the little one to toddler right away. I plan to keep this one as a toddler for quite a while. I was already planning to buy most of the toddler stuff for this little one because he or she will be staying a toddler for a very long time, but now that I know about the 12 hour option, I think I'll get the bear right away 8-)

I currently have 4 unemployed adults. (It was 5 until I had to get one of them into the politics career for the higher education quest.) One of them is a full time fashion designer and one is a full time woodworker. Another one is my primary ghost hunter, and the fourth one is her assistant ghost hunter, who will soon become an assistant fashion designer (and bounce between the three most lucrative hobbies to regularly earn the level-up bonuses in each).

My other sims who are employed stop going to work regularly when they reach the top of their careers (currently I have top level sims in politics, the art gallery and science). Since I have a lot of time to play, hobbies are the best way for me to earn §§§, xp and LP, but when I play other games or sleep, my sims are set to garden, bake or go to their jobs. Every now and then I actually let them sleep because I earn rare resources for the two monuments I've unlocked. Sleeping tends to get me those rare resources more often than gardening, baking or working does.
#3 Firehouse Road: Performance Park with 3 Star instruments for teens & activities for all ages
katgames
Sim Elder
Sim Elder

Post by katgames »

I send all the toddlers to a daycare I built. One Sim runs the daycare. That's her job. She can plant ther too if not reading or swinging or something with the kids. Sandboxes give you 8 hours, but those expensive teddy bears are worth it.

Look at homes for the "stuff" you get. If I ever start over I would do the §§§ houses first for sure but not get so into decorating at first...minimalist because the goal have you buy things and you can buy a house and redistribute. Later in your game you can re-design the house and make it something different. I think the key to playing this game well is patience and taking it slow. That's hard to do sometimes.
:geek:
HFN: #1 West Oceanside near Campgrounds
HH: Next to Fire Station
Still no police station in mah town :roll:
enkeli63
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Post by enkeli63 »

katgames wrote:I send all the toddlers to a daycare I built. One Sim runs the daycare. That's her job. She can plant ther too if not reading or swinging or something with the kids. Sandboxes give you 8 hours, but those expensive teddy bears are worth it.

Look at homes for the "stuff" you get. If I ever start over I would do the §§§ houses first for sure but not get so into decorating at first...minimalist because the goal have you buy things and you can buy a house and redistribute. Later in your game you can re-design the house and make it something different. I think the key to playing this game well is patience and taking it slow. That's hard to do sometimes.
I'm planning to build a daycare as well.

You're right about the strategy of buying the §§§ homes first and not decorating right away... however, I have to play my town and I really need to enjoy looking at the environments my sims are in, so I don't have any choice but to decorate and make spaces into something I can enjoy so that I can put in the time it takes ;) That's just a personal preference though, and one I'm willing to spend the time and §§§ on. I'm not going overboard with decorations, but I am doing what I need to for each home that I end up spending a lot of time looking at.
PaQuilter
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Post by PaQuilter »

enkeli63 wrote:Yeah, all my sims who have maxxed their careers are staying home to work on hobbies and stBrandeBebe13old#uff. I don't want them to quit their jobs because I can send them if they need to go for some reason, or I'm not able to play for a while. There are some careers my sims cannot take because they start too early in the morning for me :lol: I'm new to the game though, so I didn't know if there was something I was missing about careers and if it's a mistake to keep them home.
Hi, Enkeli, I had the same problem. I wanted a couple of Sims to work as Athletes because they leave early in the morning and are home by noon. I couldn't do it because I don't get up that early. Then I was looking at Perturbee's tips and she had one to change TIME ZONE on our device. Not the time - just the TIMEZONE. I've used it a couple times. I think this works because the time of day tells the app when to send them to work. Once they are at work, a timer keeps track of how long somebody is at work. It worked for me today. I had to go out and my polticians had to go to work. I set my time zone to a zone later then mine so I could send them to work. Then I reset the zone back to mine. Once they went to work, the system counted down the hours and they came home from work after the correct amount hours. The athletes make more $ and are gone the shortest amount of time. Hope this makes sense. :mrgreen:
Here's :mrgreen: Perturbee's link:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25&p=3012&hilit=time+zone#p3012
“Worry is like a rocking chair.....it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.”
House #24 - Left of Volcano - House for Neighbors
House #27 - Right of Volcano - Haunted House
enkeli63
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Post by enkeli63 »

Thank you! I've read about changing the timezone, but I don't think I'm going to do that unless I absolutely have to. It feels too much like cheating to me. So instead, I'll make them just use the soccer ball obsessively until they get the promotions they need. Then start sending them to work from time to time. Although, I haven't even built the stadium because I don't really need it yet. I'm just about finished the Higher Education Quest, so I'll be building the high school soon, but then focussing all my efforts on saving §§§§ for the 2 Storey Mansion (the only §§§ pre-built house that I actually want to build) and to build second floors on a couple houses (first my neighbors' house).
Perturbee
Administrator/Owner
Administrator/Owner

Post by Perturbee »

The time-zone adjustment can have one negative side effect, notifications might not show for the duration of the time needed to catch up. Sometimes a little longer. Other than that, it works fine. I've used it loads on my test game to see if it has problems and twice on my regular game to do a late night goal a little earlier. No problems whatsoever, but yes, it is a (rather innocent) cheat.