Collecting Experiences with the Downtown Developer Event

This section is all about (discovery) quests.
User avatar
SIMazing
Sim Elder
Sim Elder
Posts: 829
Joined: 11 Sep 2013, 16:18
Location: CA
x 20

Collecting Experiences with the Downtown Developer Event

Post by SIMazing » 11 Nov 2019, 23:42

About the building downtown, if you know you’re not going to finish it in time then does it make any sense to keep collecting? Does anyone know if it will help out in the end?
TIA!
1 x
HFN 1: Starter House with haunted upstairs, 1 firepole: (22 West Side)
HFN 2 -Clue House with 4 firepoles: on island behind Tempest of Bliss (3 Bliss Drive)

User avatar
kls1st
Sim Adult
Sim Adult
Posts: 625
Joined: 29 Jul 2014, 15:37
Location: Florida, USA
x 251

Re: Café Culture Update - Changes

Post by kls1st » 12 Nov 2019, 00:34

SIMazing wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 23:42
About the building downtown, if you know you’re not going to finish it in time then does it make any sense to keep collecting? Does anyone know if it will help out in the end?
TIA!
I hope it helps. I don’t think I will finish on time and I’m not breaking my neck for it. I think even finishing late, within 45(?) days, gets you an empty 3 floor condo and or lot where you can build a three floor condo. There’s nothing really to recommend finishing on time. The condo furnishings are pretty pedestrian imo. I think this is true but I could easily be misunderstanding everything. :roll: :lol:
3 x

User avatar
SIMazing
Sim Elder
Sim Elder
Posts: 829
Joined: 11 Sep 2013, 16:18
Location: CA
x 20

Re: Café Culture Update - Changes

Post by SIMazing » 12 Nov 2019, 03:08

kls1st wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 00:34
SIMazing wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 23:42
About the building downtown, if you know you’re not going to finish it in time then does it make any sense to keep collecting? Does anyone know if it will help out in the end?
TIA!
I hope it helps. I don’t think I will finish on time and I’m not breaking my neck for it. I think even finishing late, within 45(?) days, gets you an empty 3 floor condo and or lot where you can build a three floor condo. There’s nothing really to recommend finishing on time. The condo furnishings are pretty pedestrian imo. I think this is true but I could easily be misunderstanding everything. :roll: :lol:
Oh, I see. I don’t know why I was thinking that I didn’t need to finish collecting all the items just to get just the lot. Maybe just hopeful. Oh well. Guess it’s back to digging up my town, two shovels at time. :roll:
3 x
HFN 1: Starter House with haunted upstairs, 1 firepole: (22 West Side)
HFN 2 -Clue House with 4 firepoles: on island behind Tempest of Bliss (3 Bliss Drive)

User avatar
Butterfly
Sim Adult
Sim Adult
Posts: 581
Joined: 28 Oct 2015, 09:19
x 101

Re: Café Culture Update - Changes

Post by Butterfly » 12 Nov 2019, 03:20

chamilet wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 22:14
Oh that Downtown Developer feature sounds super stressful/potentially expensive.
It sounds overwhelming 🤯😩.
0 x

User avatar
kls1st
Sim Adult
Sim Adult
Posts: 625
Joined: 29 Jul 2014, 15:37
Location: Florida, USA
x 251

Re: Café Culture Update - Changes

Post by kls1st » 12 Nov 2019, 03:35

Butterfly wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 03:20
chamilet wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 22:14
Oh that Downtown Developer feature sounds super stressful/potentially expensive.
It sounds overwhelming 🤯😩.
So far it’s just been a plodding bore. I haven’t spent anything, simolians, elpees, espees, or actual money. Don’t give too much credit to me for knowing anything though. I don’t understand more than I do but I seem to be making progress. I don’t think it’s as complicated as we think it is. :?
Attachments
0745467D-2BE1-41C6-A8F8-7D9928202263.jpeg
73C85FBE-F2ED-42B5-8E46-CAC46796B78A.jpeg
3 x

User avatar
cepezet
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler
Posts: 37
Joined: 15 Feb 2014, 06:52
Location: Germany
x 15

Re: Café Culture Update - Changes

Post by cepezet » 13 Nov 2019, 12:46

Lessons learned out of „Downtown Developer” event

Some facts and hints that I should have known in advance (and that the EA FAQ’s don’t reveal):

It’s all about collecting shards of the three resources Granite, Glass and Gold.
To complete one resource you need 2 shards of Granite, 3 shards of Glass, resp. 4 shards of Gold. So for the maximum of 2 collecting Sims you need 2 collecting sessions for one resource of Glass or Gold. You have to take into account that a “Resource Permit” only lasts 24 hours and when a resource isn’t completed within this time frame all shards of incomplete resources will get lost. Always watch the "Permit timer"!

One collecting session lasts 3h55 for “normal” Sims, resp. 3h43 for Baby Bonus Sims. So, if available, take 2 bonused Sims to make 6 sessions per day better reachable.

You can skip collecting individual requirement classes within a stage by using SP. This is “cheaper” than speeding up your Sims directly. The skipping prices differ a lot between the resources:
Granite: ~5 SP per item
Glass: ~28 SP per item
Gold: ~100 SP per item

If you want to save a whole day in this event, you should finish the first stage immediately by skipping the Granite collecting via SP. Later on this will be much more expensive, when all resource types are needed to complete a stage.

If you are finishing a stage by skipping the last needed resource with SP, you will set a new time stamp. From then on “Resource Permit” will start on this time every day. In that way you can make the timing a little bit more comfortable for you.

And the most important (and a little annoying) notice for me: The “Resource Permits” always toggle in the same manner (Granite – Glass – Gold – Granite – Glass -…) for the higher stages of the building regardless whether there are items missing or not. So it doesn’t make sense to skip resources via SP or collect with brute force (and short of sleep), as long as there is still one other resource missing. Currently my “Resource Collectors” have a 2 days lay-off, waiting for the last Gold session.

At least the end of the event is in sight (6 days left 😊)…
12 x
GC: cepezet
Lvl 55, TV >2bn
HFN: #1 East Side

User avatar
chamilet
Sim Adult
Sim Adult
Posts: 500
Joined: 28 Mar 2014, 15:43
x 146

Re: Café Culture Update - Changes

Post by chamilet » 13 Nov 2019, 15:32

cepezet wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 12:46
Lessons learned out of „Downtown Developer” event

Some facts and hints that I should have known in advance (and that the EA FAQ’s don’t reveal):

It’s all about collecting shards of the three resources Granite, Glass and Gold.
To complete one resource you need 2 shards of Granite, 3 shards of Glass, resp. 4 shards of Gold. So for the maximum of 2 collecting Sims you need 2 collecting sessions for one resource of Glass or Gold. You have to take into account that a “Resource Permit” only lasts 24 hours and when a resource isn’t completed within this time frame all shards of incomplete resources will get lost. Always watch the "Permit timer"!

One collecting session lasts 3h55 for “normal” Sims, resp. 3h43 for Baby Bonus Sims. So, if available, take 2 bonused Sims to make 6 sessions per day better reachable.

You can skip collecting individual requirement classes within a stage by using SP. This is “cheaper” than speeding up your Sims directly. The skipping prices differ a lot between the resources:
Granite: ~5 SP per item
Glass: ~28 SP per item
Gold: ~100 SP per item

If you want to save a whole day in this event, you should finish the first stage immediately by skipping the Granite collecting via SP. Later on this will be much more expensive, when all resource types are needed to complete a stage.

If you are finishing a stage by skipping the last needed resource with SP, you will set a new time stamp. From then on “Resource Permit” will start on this time every day. In that way you can make the timing a little bit more comfortable for you.

And the most important (and a little annoying) notice for me: The “Resource Permits” always toggle in the same manner (Granite – Glass – Gold – Granite – Glass -…) for the higher stages of the building regardless whether there are items missing or not. So it doesn’t make sense to skip resources via SP or collect with brute force (and short of sleep), as long as there is still one other resource missing. Currently my “Resource Collectors” have a 2 days lay-off, waiting for the last Gold session.

At least the end of the event is in sight (6 days left 😊)…
I'm thinking that maybe this should be in a separate post all by itself. It looks very useful but I doubt I'd be able to find it when I go to do the event.
3 x
GC = chamilet (please mention Sims)
All of my Sims are Glee characters (or their descendants)

User avatar
SIMazing
Sim Elder
Sim Elder
Posts: 829
Joined: 11 Sep 2013, 16:18
Location: CA
x 20

Re: Café Culture Update - Changes

Post by SIMazing » 13 Nov 2019, 20:32

cepezet wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 12:46
Lessons learned out of „Downtown Developer” event

Some facts and hints that I should have known in advance (and that the EA FAQ’s don’t reveal):

It’s all about collecting shards of the three resources Granite, Glass and Gold.
To complete one resource you need 2 shards of Granite, 3 shards of Glass, resp. 4 shards of Gold. So for the maximum of 2 collecting Sims you need 2 collecting sessions for one resource of Glass or Gold. You have to take into account that a “Resource Permit” only lasts 24 hours and when a resource isn’t completed within this time frame all shards of incomplete resources will get lost. Always watch the "Permit timer"!

One collecting session lasts 3h55 for “normal” Sims, resp. 3h43 for Baby Bonus Sims. So, if available, take 2 bonused Sims to make 6 sessions per day better reachable.

You can skip collecting individual requirement classes within a stage by using SP. This is “cheaper” than speeding up your Sims directly. The skipping prices differ a lot between the resources:
Granite: ~5 SP per item
Glass: ~28 SP per item
Gold: ~100 SP per item

If you want to save a whole day in this event, you should finish the first stage immediately by skipping the Granite collecting via SP. Later on this will be much more expensive, when all resource types are needed to complete a stage.

If you are finishing a stage by skipping the last needed resource with SP, you will set a new time stamp. From then on “Resource Permit” will start on this time every day. In that way you can make the timing a little bit more comfortable for you.

And the most important (and a little annoying) notice for me: The “Resource Permits” always toggle in the same manner (Granite – Glass – Gold – Granite – Glass -…) for the higher stages of the building regardless whether there are items missing or not. So it doesn’t make sense to skip resources via SP or collect with brute force (and short of sleep), as long as there is still one other resource missing. Currently my “Resource Collectors” have a 2 days lay-off, waiting for the last Gold session.

At least the end of the event is in sight (6 days left 😊)…
I just saw that Joe the Geologist works for 45 days. Seeing your post I now understand why.
1 x
HFN 1: Starter House with haunted upstairs, 1 firepole: (22 West Side)
HFN 2 -Clue House with 4 firepoles: on island behind Tempest of Bliss (3 Bliss Drive)

User avatar
ErinPW
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4505
Joined: 10 Sep 2013, 10:41
Location: Germany, UTC +1
x 1326

Re: Collecting Experiences with the Downtown Developer Event

Post by ErinPW » 17 Nov 2019, 13:16

I have moved some posts and stickied the new topic, so it's easier to find :)

If you're working on this event already you can use the magnifying glass to have a look at the 3-storey penthouse. It will help to decide, whether you really need that house or if you're okay with the empty lot.

If you don't want the pre-built penthouse you can collect the resources according to your own schedule without pressure. Only trouble is that missing the milestones will cost lots of simoleons :(
Attachments
1B5D7CBD-F312-4481-AECD-5DAD3C677291.jpeg
1 x
Lakeside Christmas, 5.50.0
iOS 13.1.3

HFN 3 Eastside includes cat and dog.
Haunted House 1 Museums Boulevard and Volcano View

Thuraya
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen
Posts: 107
Joined: 25 Dec 2015, 12:33
x 129

Re: Collecting Experiences with the Downtown Developer Event

Post by Thuraya » 17 Nov 2019, 16:51

I posted this in another forum already, this is an overview of the resources needed for each stage:
  1. Stage: 1 × Granite
    = 2 Shards of Granite
  2. Stage: 5 × Granite
    = 10 Shards of Granite
    1. Major Stage Upgrade: 6 × Granite
    in 3 days

    (Fee for missing the deadline: max. §246000)
  3. Stage: 7 × Granite, 4 × Glass
    = 14 Shards of Granite, 1 x Glass gifted + 9 Shards of Glass
  4. Stage: 4 × Granit, 4 × Glass
    = 8 Shards of Granite, 12 Shards of Glass
    2. Major Stage Upgrade: 11 × Granite, 8 × Glass - 1
    in 6 days

    (Fee for missing the deadline: max. §492000)
  5. Stage: 4 × Granite, 2 × Glass, 2 × Gold
    = 8 Shards of Granite, 6 Shards of Glass, 1 × Gold gifted + 4 Shards of Gold
  6. Stage: 4 × Granite, 3 × Glass, 2 × Gold
    = 8 Shards of Granite, 9 Shards of Glass, 8 Shards of Gold
    3. Major Stage Upgrade: 8 × Granite, 5 × Glass, 4 × Gold - 1
    in 6 days

    (Fee for missing the deadline: max. §656000)
  7. Stage: 8 × Granite, 6 × Glass, 4 Gold
    = 16 Shards of Granite, 18 Shards of Glass, 1 × Gold gifted + 12 Shards of Gold
  8. Stage: 10 × Granite, 7 × Glass, 7 × Gold
    = 20 Shards of Granite, 21 Shards of Glass, 28 Shards of Gold
  9. Stage: 6 × Granite, 3 × Glass, 2 × Gold
    = 12 Shards of Granite, 9 Shards of Glas, 8 Shards of Gold
    Final Stage: 24 × Granite, 16 × Glass, 13 × Gold - 1
    in 15 days

    (Fee for missing the deadline: max. §6806000)
When calculating the time needed for collecting all these resources don't forget to consider that the permits are issued in a fixed sequence. Each stage starts with granite, followed by glass, followed by gold and then starting over. This sequence does not change even for resources you already completed, you would spend a day or two with useless permits waiting for the permit you need.

Example: You are in stage 8 and need to collect 20 granite shards (10 shifts with 2 sims, feasible within 2 days), 21 glass shards (11 shifts with 2 sims, feasible within 2 days, but to complete 6 shifts within one day you'll have to set an alarm for the night) and 28 gold shards. Now you can only collect a maximum of 2 sims × 6 shifts = 12 shards per day (without spending SP or real money), so for 28 gold shards you'll need at least 3 permits. Even if you only need 2 days each for granite and glass you'll need 9 days to fully complete stage 8 because you'll spend 2 days idle with granite and glass permits waiting for the third gold permit to be issued.

(Yes, this behaviour was described in a previous post already, I just copied over my calculations.)

So you only have 6 days left for stages 7 and 9. You'll need at least 5 days for stage 7 and 3 days for stage 9, so you won't get the time-limited prize without spending any SP or real money. Even the NPC will not spare you the need for setting alarms.
Playing in a relaxed style without the ambition for the time-limited penthouse building will still get you an empty penthouse lot with the ability to build 3 floors, but missing the deadline for the last stage will not only cost you the prebuilt penthouse. You will have to pay a high fee of simoleons (see above) to end the event and to be able to build anything at all (empty lot or architect houses) on that new roof. So while the first empty lot might be "free", be aware you will still have to pay a high amount of simoleons to get it.

Edit: Copied my own posting to edit it with new information. @ErinPW will delete the other one.
Last edited by ErinPW on 01 Dec 2019, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated
8 x

Post Reply